TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have flat screen TV and had an apple TV hooked into one of

Customer Question
the HDMI ports. My young...
I have flat screen TV and had an apple TV hooked into one of the HDMI ports. My young daughters friend had the remote and was pushing the in/off button to the apple TV unit as fast as she could. I heard a pop in the other room and the TV was dead. When I turn it on, it started to come up and when its checking the HDMI ports it turns back off. Is this a huge issue to fix or would it be cheaper to just go get a new TV. If it is something small I could fix for $100 Id get it fixed but if its for $200-$300 I probably would not. The TV is about 2 years old and is a 46" Magnavox flatscreen. I paid about $50 on sale.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
6/20/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

This indicates that the Mainboard has failed- this is the board that processes your HDMI signals and also allows you to select an Input to watch. I am checking now to see if this part is available for purchase. I will be right back.

The part alone is available at the link below for $90 if you're looking to replace the board yourself (it's plug and play- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to swap it):

http://www.lileverything.com/products/magnavox-a3aq0mma-001-digital-main-board-for-46me313v-f7?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=17538944901

That is going to be the only cost effective fix for this is if you provide the labor. The back of the set will have to come off and then the board is exposed.

Alternatively a shop will typically charge $200 parts and labor for this repair, and that is not cost effective since, as you've surmised, the TV can be replaced with a brand new LED of the same size for that cost.

Other than that, there aren't any pushbutton fixes for this issue as the Mainboard does need to be replaced based on these symptoms.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Aric, Technician