Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My lg 49lb5550 will not turn on.

Customer Question

My lg 49lb5550 will not turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry you're having problems.

Can you please tell me the following so we can proceed?

1) Roughly how old is the set?

2) Are there ANY signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit, blinking, anything on the screen, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tv is a little over 1 year old.
no signs of life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tv wasn't used for 2 weeks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if there is no sign of life at all on the TV, then you're generally looking at a faulty power supply board or a fault on the Mainboard.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still not getting anything from the set at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm asking if you are still not getting ANYTHING AT ALL from the set- no power light, as if the set were completely dead? Troubleshooting relies on details. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still nothing at all
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'm sorry to hear that and this does indicate the power supply board in the set has prematurely failed. This can happen when there are power outages, or increment weather in the area, and can also happen without an outside catalyst simply due to low quality manufacturing in China. Unfortunately there are no other quick fixes for this issue, and the power board would need to be replaced. A shop will generally charge $225 parts and labor for this repair (I realize it's bad news on a set so new), but if you're a DIY type and comfortable removing the back of the set, you can sap this board yourself.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sorry that should be "swap" this board yourself. The board is "plug and play"- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to remove it and it can be purchased at the link below for $35 with shipping included:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Power-Supply-Board-49LB5550-/251989660688?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have a part # ***** the power board
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I just posted a link to the part which shows a part number above. If you want to confirm this is the correct part you will remove the back of your TV and pull the actual part number stamped on the board in your set. LG and other OEM's will use different part numbers even within the same TV so it's best to verify using the number in your actual TV. The power board is where the AC Input jack directly connects to.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Here is one possible number for the power board (again your set may have a different version installed):

EAX65423801

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm also finding: EAX65423801 Rev 2 (not directly interchangeable).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's also that same part number and a Rev 2.1, so while the main number is ***** same throughout the three versions, each has a revision made to it that prevent compatibility with all sets. It is always best to verify the actual number stamped on your power board and use that as your search criteria.

PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pull the back of the set to get the part # to find one.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good. Can you please kindly rate my service as the site is showing the question as open and that you are in need of a solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do the #s on the sticker need to match or just the ones on the borad?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This number here: EAX65423801 Are you seeing that on a sticker on silk-screened on the board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a white sticker also with #s Does that need to match?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Post back with a photo of what you see since not all of these boards are the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I got the board figured out. Ordered it and will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Board should be here in couple days. I'll let you knom if that fixes it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just put in the need board. Did not power on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you did not show any intention of rating me for my time, so I will open the question up to another expert to try and help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have full intention to rate you. But the tv needs to be fixed be for I can rate