TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Mitsubishi Tv model WD-92A12 flashing colors on screen after

Customer Question
replacing the lamp. It turned...
Mitsubishi Tv model WD-92A12 flashing colors on screen after replacing the lamp. It turned on and looked fine but after a couple minutes started flashing colors within the picture and making a humming noise. If turned of to cool it will restart ok then repeat color strobe and noise.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I thought it might be the color wheel bearongs but after replacing the color wheel it does the same thing only now its as soon as its turned on
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Think its a 2012, model number WD-92A12. 92" Mitsubishi DLP TV
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Mainly just that. Cleaning the housing and fans replacing the bulb and replacing the color wheel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
6/20/2016
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 1 year ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

What was the original problem with the set please before this happened?what made you replace the lamp?

Anthony

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dimming. The lamp was definitely going out. Darkend picture and bulb had warped bubbled stem and discoloration. Set worked fine prior other than that. Replaced with a supposed OEM model and looked great for a few minutes then started flickering like the color wheel or sensor was off time. Still showed images just with a pulsing green and blue tint and an increasing whir/humming from the lamp area that persisted for awhile after shut down. I took a video but it doesnt seem to want to let me attach it. I was guessing the increased heat of a new bulb affected the colorwheel bearing and was able to get it replaced but same issue... It will turn on look great then start flashing colors within the image and making noise. It never stoppes playing the image or show just flickers like the color timing is off.

OK when you replaced the color wheel did you replace the whole thing or just the wheel itself?

Anthony

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The color wheel itself with the two cable leads.

So you did not replace the motor too?so that is the wheel and the motor that drives it?

I suspect not, the thing is the motor is no longer available for these sets and its the motor that is the problem you will need to have a good search for it once you retrieve the part-number but usually its not available but someone somewhere may have one.Its the motor making the humming noise the color wheel is slowing so the flickering color

I am sorry for this news we used to have to replace the whole light engine (which has the color wheel attached )for issues like this because the combined motor and color wheel was never available

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure Im understanding what motor your referring to. I removed the 3 mounting screws holding the wheel in place disconnected the cables from thier posts in back near the lens and replaced the whole color wheel mount and all. Im assuming the motor your referencing is attached to the back of the wheel and mounted to the metal piece that has the tab hole to align and screws to the underside of the housing.

The motor that drives the color wheel?you just replaced the color wheel itself but that is not the issue, the humming is coming from the motor that spins the wheel so the bearings have gone on the motor (hence the hum) the wheel is slowing, you get flickering color, the wheel "itself" is available not the complete package of motor and wheel

Do you have a link or partnumber to what you fitted?

Turn it over or give me the partnumber of that please

So you replaced that complete package?where did you get it from please?what is the partnumber?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive attached an image of what the color wheel looked like with the mount attached. This is the closest match I can find until I get home and can take a pic of the one removed. The only difference is mine has equally spaced color panes. Otherwise its nearly exact

I need the part-number of what you fitted I seriously cant believe you replaced the motor too because what you are describing is classic color wheel failure

what I mean by that is the motor that drives the wheel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is the number on the cable of the one removed. I ordered the part thru university tv in fort collins colorado.

Yes please take a pic when you get home

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can an off brand lamp cause it to over heat and cause the flicker?

We have lots of trouble with copy lamps of course but it would not affect the color

And I agree it is odd it only happened after doing that pity you dont have another lamp just to eliminate that angle but I cant see the lamp causing this particular with the hum too that is the color wheel motor bearings bad

H

Let me know anyhow

Yes it has to be the lamp in that case (sorry I would have suggested you use the old lamp as a test but I figured it was completely bad when you said it was discolored) I have never though in any set had a lamp that has behaved like this.

You must fit an OEM lamp the problem is trusting the dealer you get the lamp from , we only use one source and that is www.dlplampsource.com <<click

They have started selling a copy bulb (they admit its a copy) however please stick with the OEM version of the lamp

There is NO cheap options with the lamp cost is $80_$100

Let me know if you need more help

Please consider rating the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question NEVER CLOSES IT REMAINS OPEN should you need more help now or later thank you.

Many Thanks

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician