Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Panasonic plasma TV turned off in middle of watching it -

Customer Question

Panasonic plasma TV turned off in middle of watching it - power light comes on - light is static
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: We bought it nov 2011
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged it and plugged back in
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Seems like just the display won't turn on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. By "Static"- do you mean the power light is lit, not blinking or out completely?

Also, do you have or can you get the model number off of the back of the Panasonic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power light is lit and not blocking. TC-P50S30
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. When the power light is stuck like this, it points to a faulty Mainboard in the set. This board processes the turn on/off commands and is essentially the "brains" of the TV. Given your symptoms it is going to be likely the Mainboard needs to be replaced (which is something I can help you with).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried 3 times and nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. This does indicate the Mainboard in the set has failed, and there are no pushbutton fixes for this issue. The set requires the Mainboard be replaced. At a shop, you're generally looking at $300-$350 parts and labor to swap the board out. However if you're comfortable removing the back of the TV, and swapping ot a board (the connections are all "plug in") then you can fix this yourself, by purchasing the Mainboard below for $125:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-TC-P50S30-MAIN-BOARD-TXN-A1PHUUS-TNPH0914AS-/281954685422?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news here. If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.