Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I've got a Vizio TV that has quit displaying tuner

Customer Question

Hi. I've got a Vizio TV that has quit displaying tuner information. We're over-the-air here. We're getting a blue screen with no channel information at all. We've checked the input buttons on the remote, and have been using the TV to watch Apple TV, but cannot return to the TV signal.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We bought the TV in October 2007. It's a Vision GV47L.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We've done the power button reset advised by Vizio (holding the power button down while the TV is unplugged). This sort of worked for a week or so, but the TV has gotten increasingly finicky. At first, the reset didn't work immediately, but after 20 minutes or so the tuner kicked in. It's ta***** *****er and longer for the tuner to come back on, and the power reset procedure seems to have no effect now.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope. Thanks!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Is there any sort of converter/tuner box connected between the HDTV antenna (I'm assuming that is what you use?) and the TV itself?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If the connection is direct "wall to TV"- with no external box, then this does indicate the TV's built in tuner is failing/has failed. I just want to make sure as we don't always get all of the pieces to the puzzle in the first posting.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also please confirm if the digits: "FHDTV10A" are after the GV47L and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need some assistance here let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you want to repair the set the part at the link below needs to be purchased and installed in the TV. The software on your mainboard is failing and is causing the issue with the tuner dropping out like this. There aren't any settings or adjustments that will fix this. Here is the Mainboard:

http://gopartserv.com/products/3647-0012-0150-0171-2272-2235-vizio-main-board-gv47l-fhdtv10a?variant=10477968388&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHLyXunaLTetI_0IqlzNxGv8jTAUPuj4Qb4g9y_13Rwj0aAoQ18P8HAQ

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.