TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv picture makes people look short and fat I cannot find

Customer Question
my tv picture makes people...
my tv picture makes people look short and fat I cannot find the original remote because it was lost when a tree fell on my house during a hurricane I have tried "aspect'" which doesnt solve the problem. What can i do to get a proper picture ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack an independent TV/AUDIO repairman with 40 years experience.
Perhaps i can help you with this , please let me know when you see this

What is connected to this tv ?
Cable box,satellite,dvd,games etc. ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cable box dvd

O.k and that ASPECT button you`re talking about would be on the cable box remote ?

How about the dvd picture , does it appear normal ?

Sorry but yes to what ?

both questions ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the aspect is on the cable remote i have not used the dvd in 2 years

could you lookup that model number again ?

This one is not complete and gives too many variations of choices

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am going to look right now

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
TC-L32U3

Thanks , that will do it.

Is this a problem that popped up lately or its always been like that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok TC-L32U3

thank you , I got it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really can't answer that maybe always but I dont remember

I can tell you for example that tv shows or old movies made for the 4:3 aspect ratio will have that deformed effect when played in 16:9 like your tv is .

Nowadays most tv programs and movies take the fact that TV's are now made in the 16:9 format and so are the shows so the picture and people look normal .

Did you notice this on some channels like standard definition and the HD channel look normal or they all look deformed ?

Another important factor here as well is how your tv is connected to that box and if it is a standard definition (SD) or HD box , do you know the type of cables used here ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i notice it most when I am watching golf it would be on a hi def channel

O.k and ca you take a look at the back of the tv or cable box and tell me the type of connection or what it says where it is connected ?

Is it HDMI , coaxial or color coded cables ?

By the way , your tv`s FORMAT cannot be changed without its remote , I just looked so I can find you an original remote if you want

But right now that aspect ratio may not be what you need and rather the type of connection .

If your connection is composite audio/video or coaxial then it doesn`t matter if the cable box is HD or not , you will have that 4:3 aspect ratio and deformed picture

look at the cable(s) back there and tell me what you have

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a black plug in the top part of the back that says HDMI AV IN then there are a bunch of others a blue one a yellow one a green one in a row and 2 white ones in an adjacent row yes please check in remote and its price

O.k then check to see if the one that says HDMI is going to the cable box or dvd player ?

Be right back with that remote

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cable box

O.k then you are running HD and it should be 16:9 format coming out of that box unless it was purposely changed to 4:3 but I could not see why

In that case that leaves the tv adjust indeed and that remote .

You got those links ?

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea what your answer means the tv adjust indeed and that remote
you got those links?No you did not answer my question I know no more now than when we began this conversation sorry

Well you know that the type of connection and cable box will make a difference as well as the type of programming showing and also that it cannot be done without the remote and now have links where to get them .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you did not send any links this has been a waste of time

I don't think I like how this is going and I will opt out now

Goodbye

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
me either
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forget it. Waste of time. Do not charge my card more than the agreed upon $5. So disappointed
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician