TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My plasma tv won't turn on. LG 50pv450. The stand by red light is on but the TV not coming on...

Customer Question
my plasma tv won't turn...
my plasma tv won't turn on
JA: Just to clarify, what's the plasma television's exact make and model?
Customer: LG 50pv450
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the stand by red light is on but the TV not coming on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
6/3/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set would be considered at the end of its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
going to try what your recommended 4steps... however if it doesn't work
I would like to find parts.

Sure, I can help you with that, but you'd really want to do some diagnostic testing first so you can determine which parts are actually needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the main board where can I get this part

Honesty you aren't likely to be able to find most parts for this set, at least not new or at a reasonable price, everything for this set (and plasmas in general) are long discontinued. There are several variations of your set, so you need to open up the tv and verify the part number on the existing board (v1, v2, etc) before we can search for parts.
I've done some checking so far, and am not having much luck finding any version available at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
holding down the power button is not working
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if parts aren't available then it can't be fixed?

Essentially, yes. It could still be possible, there are some options for sending your existing parts in or having a local tech do component level repairs, but that is often not cost effective either.

For a tv of this age, even if you fix the current issue, there are still half a dozen other boards in the tv that will fail sooner than later. You would not be extending the life of the tv significantly, it may last another year or even 2, but do not expect it to last another 5 years, it would need additional repairs and costs before that.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer