Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I had a Sanyo 55" TV. Half the screen is darker than the

Customer Question

I had a Sanyo 55" TV. Half the screen is darker than the other half. What is wrong? Can it be repair?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;Is the screen cut in half like with a straight line going down the middle of the screen or just that side is shadowy/darker and going brighter towards the other side ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then that would be yes to darker I take it , not a straight cut down the middle.If you open the TV's own menu , is it also affected by this ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I mean does part of the menu also shows darker ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen is splitted into two half.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
What I need to know is about the menu and also is it a STRAIGHT LINE down the panel and I mean a line like a stripe or gradually going dark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not opened the menu yet.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Can you still see the picture in that dark area ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Still with me ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If you`re not around I`m going to be stepping out for 1/2 hour or so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can still see the picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then give me a minute please to compose my answer
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then this is a LED/LCD tv and i`m afraid that there is only one possible cause for a problem like this and that is a defective LCD panel .Anytime you have horizontal lines , shadows or blobs /spots etc. on a lcd tv then it is a sure sign of a defective panel.As a rule of thumb the LCD panel cost around 80% of the original cost of the tv and then it has to be stripped down and rebuilt around the new panel and then again that is if you can find a new panel.When under warranty most companies will replace the tv , not the panel.Sorry to say but this makes the tv practically un-repairable due to the high cost and again that is even if you could find a replacement panelSorry to be the bearer of bad news today but i`d rather tell you straight and spare you a waste of time and money.Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help . Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.