Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Model 19HLV87A will not respond to changing the input

Customer Question

my Model 19HLV87A will not respond to changing the input selector... I can press the button, and see the choices, but repeated pressing of the input button OR 0 through 5 keys will not move it off of TV to any of the other choices.
HELP
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the set for, and when did this issue occur? Also what sources are connected to the TV? Is it, for instance, just a cable box connected via HDMI for example?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just changed service, and hooked up a new converter... have had the TV for years, and always connected through coax.DISH guy had it working on composite, I tried to change to HDMI, now can't even get back to composite.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, composite is completely analog- so this issue cannot be related to any connections or settings. The only source that can actually cause the TV to lockup like this, is an HDMI connection- OR a hardware failure in the TV (it's Mainboard). Please unplug the TV from power, then disconnect all connections from the set (HDMI, composite cabling, etc.). Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute, then reconnect the source cabling to the set and plug it back in. Turn it on and let me know if you're having the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did as you told me, the TV will still not respond to changes in the input selector...Just got a call from credit card company that said you charged me the $38 already... I'm guessing that you charged and will credit back if not satisfied....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV has a built in DVD, and the TV/DVD button switches between them fine. Just the input selector doesn't change to the different inputs - even the analog composite.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I sure didn't charge you a dime- in fact I'm not even paid until I'm rated. I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Getting back to your TV, if you cannot select Inputs your Mainboard has failed. There's no hidden reset that fixes this as it's a hardware fault. That said, if you want to fix the set yourself, this requires replacement of that board. Let me know if this is something you want to repair yourself and I will dig for a source for the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, will do that... what about my comment that the solution you suggested didn't work... what now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOPE... I guess I'm done here.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay good luck then.