TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Philip's TV is stuck on the menu. The remote doesn't work

Customer Question
and the only buttons in...
My Philip's TV is stuck on the menu. The remote doesn't work and the only buttons in the TV the work are power and source
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/21/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, First- Sorry you're having problems. Secondly, when you mention the Source button does work. when you change Source- does the MENU stay on the screen? Also is there a chance the MENU button on the TV itself is loose or stuck (I simply want to rule out any basic issues)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. And there are no loose buttons
You never replied back to what exactly you see on the screen when you change the Source??
You said the MENU is stuck on the screen, I asked if changing the Source setting still shows the MENU- you replied No. So the MENU does NOT show when you change the source? Please elaborate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The menu screen goes away and the options for hdmi1 etc appear.
what specific source setting shows the MENU? Meaning what is connected to the TV that you are trying to view with the MENU stuck on the screen?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing is connected at this point. It is only plugged in to the wall.
what source setting is showing the MENU then.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tv
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Have you tired to connect a DVD player to TV as a test to get picture and sound?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We cannot change the source. None of the buttons will work
pressing Source/ Input button on TV doesn't change input source?Does Menu button work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The source button and menu button are the only two buttons that work. This happened a few months ago and we left it unplugged for a few weeks and it worked fine. We have left it unplugged for a week hoping that would work again and it isn't
Sorry to hear that this time it didn't work. When you say source button work, if you press it few times, do you get different video input source on TV like TV, HDMI-1, AV or Component etc?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Those options pop up but there is no way to change them
OK, if you press Source button a few times/ repeatedly it will change video input source, please try it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there
did you get my previous reply?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did not. When you first hit source the channel number shows up then the main menu screen pops up for a few seconds and the channel not available. At that point you can hit source source again and the hdmi, component menu comes up. As soon as you release the source button it goes back to the channel not available screen
I understand, TV tuner is default video source and when TV doesn't get video signal on other video inputs then it goes back to default video source (TV tuner) and shows no channel available etc because no antenna is plugged into TV.Can you connect a video source into HDIM or any other video input of TV, play it then push Source button to see if TV displays picture and stays on that input source?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will not. It does the same thing
OK, I hope the DVD player (or whatever video device it is) power would be On and connected correctly to TV.I'm working on it and get back to you in 10 minutes, is this OK?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is hooked up correctly
Thanks for the info, we have tried all user level things to correct the problem, source button is working but not implementing the command correctly that points towards main board internal failure where main controller chip is mounted and controls all the functions of TV, you would need to replace main board of TV which will help to resolve the problem. Please check with following board supplier to get identical main board if you want to do-it-yourself..http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=58PFL4609%2FF7If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...http://www.tvrepairpros.com/I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Not sure what happens.
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician