Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Samsung LED UN46B6000VFXZA. Audio works - Backlight

Customer Question

I have a Samsung LED UN46B6000VFXZA. Audio works - Backlight works. Picture is black on exactly half of the screen (left). Other half (right) picture/menu is very dim. This happened after tv was cleaned with liquid windex spray (front and back). There are vent holes in back over the t-con board and inside there are holes through the cover of the t-con. Can the t-con be partially damaged and then could it act this way... Or would you think it's something else?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

That actually sounds more like a power supply issue not driving the one half of the screen properly.

Try swapping the 2 ribbon cables out of the tcon, does the problem move to the other side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan. I checked and there is not enough length of ribbon cable to swap the connections.
Anything else to try?
Bob
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have enough length to reach if you unmount the board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not enough length. The cables are about 1-1/2 inches long and the connectors are about 2 inches apart. Even if I flip the board over, I wouldn't be able to twist the ribbon cable over so it plugged in the right way because the ribbon cables are not long enough.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying. We usually have more than that to work with.

The tcon is a possibility, as is the power supply which drives the backlighting. If it is split exactly in half, I'd suspect the tcon first though, and that would be the first thing you would replace: http://bit.ly/1WIOtob

If that fails, you can always return that board and we'd look at the power supply next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know what I find out
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, I located a new T-Con board. It's on the way. Will I need software for the new board? If so, where do I get the correct software, what media should I use, and how do I load the software to the board?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

As long as you got the correct board number you should not need a software update. That is more for a main board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll check back with you when I receive the board.
Thanks,
Bob
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Bob.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, I finally received the T-CON board and installed it. It essentially fixed the problem except that the same exactly half (left) side of the screen is slightly darker (just noticeable) than the right side.
Is there an adjustment for this or something that you can suggest to try?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update, and glad the picture quality has improved.

The brightness issue is usually more from the power supply if the issue is remaining.

You can try going into the menu, updating firmware to the latest version, and doing factory reset as well,

beyond that, there is likely some deeper issue in the backlighting though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do the factory reset just from the regular menu on the TV?
I did an online chat with samsung and they linked me to the correct firmware upgrade and a pdf for the procedure, so I have that. I'll do the firmware and the reset and let you know the results. Thanks, Bob.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes from the menu

Try reseating the tcon ribbon cables too just to be sure they are good and tight

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try the cables too.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out when you have a chance