TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

MAGNAVOX 19" LCD HDTV W/DIGITAL TUNER, 19MF338B/27 PROBLEM

Customer Question
MAGNAVOX 19" LCD HDTV W/DIGITAL...
MAGNAVOX 19" LCD HDTV W/DIGITAL TUNER, 19MF338B/27
PROBLEM "TURNS ON BY ITSELF" NO ONE IN ROOM, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, I THOUGHT MY NEIGHBOR WAS NUTS BUT THEN I WAS IN THE ROOM AND IT TURNED ITSELF ON. HAS WORKED GREAT SINCE 2008. PROBLEM STARTED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. SHE IS NOW UNPLUGING IT WHEN SHE LEAVES THE ROOM. HELP
BURTON STEMEN
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/20/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem or at least understand the problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why doe it come on by itself and how do I stop it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jack ....Why does it come on by itself and how do I stop it
Please give me a minute to compose my answer
First , i would doubt very much that the remote is sending power on signals to the tv evven if it was left pointed towards the tv but you could still try to take it out of the room for a test.At this time only the main board can turn the tv on by itself but i also doubt it is the culprit .What i can see as the first suspect would be a poor filtering of the supply voltage that causes false triggers at the main board .This poor filtering would be caused by weak / vented 8 years old capacitors on the power board .Of course without being there with tools and meters i cannot be 100% sure but i give this a 90% chance on the power board and the other 10% for the main board .This means that you either would have to refurbish the power board or replace it .This power board part # ***** cost around $60 and by the look of it so far may be difficult to findThe main board itself cost around $80 , the parts are surprisingly expensive for this 8 years old 19 " tv .
I probably can find that power board but again if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 8 years old and the fact that you can get a new 32" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $200 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.
Repair shop would be out of the question as you could be looking at $150 .If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comThis will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well your JUST ASK has really changed how it does business. $26 MORE. please just provide your response in writing. Thanks Anyway. Looks like I will just install an inline switch for her. Thanks again. Goodbye
Sorry about that and if you received a phone offer it was automated from the web site ,not from me
you are correct , we don`t need it anyway
To get back to your tv , let me take a look and see if I can find that board
As I thought this board is nowhere to be found and the only link that has some potential would be this one but you need to contact them for a quote , that is direct from china ;http://www.buyqual.com/715t2906-2-8942apr1-philips-996510011600-power-supply.html
The thing is that this tv is still working but it has a serious glitch and the easy solution is that switch indeed .After 8 years it may be on its last leg and again I would not recommend investing money into it , the new TV's of that size and larger are cheap and any money would be better invested in a new tv
If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions. Thank you
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician