TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony KDL-46EX500 LCD TV that when plugged in has an

Customer Question
amber stand by led. When...
I have a Sony KDL-46EX500 LCD TV that when plugged in has an amber stand by led. When the power button is pressed the amber led turns blue a but no backlight, no audio or video. Can't turn off TV with power button, have to unplug.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?- Is there any USB memory stick plugged into TV?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The TV is five or six years old. It has worked fine till last week.

Thanks for the info.- Is there any USB memory stick plugged into TV?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No memory sticks.

OK, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and turn it On and check?Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have the back of and been unplugged many times.

Voltages on Power Board CN 6150 at plug in, Power Led red:

1. 3.3 V Standby

2. AC/DET 2.72V

10. BL_Err 3.3V

When power button pressed, Led turns green, additional Voltages:

3. Power_on 3.3V

4. Audio 12V =12v

8. Reg 12V =12V

9. Reg 12V =12V

12. Dimmer = 3.0V

14. TCon_VCC = 0V

15. TCon_on = 0V

I have to unplug to turn off.

Thanks

ah OK, was there any lightning storm in area or have you tired to upgrade TV firmware that might caused this issue in TV?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No lightning that I'm aware of. No issues with anything else. No firmware update attempts.

what about the backlight error even in standby?

Amber standby light is bit odd which should be red and not sure about backlight error that you're referring here, if it is Dimmer = 3V then it is normal and if TV has got backlight problem then power light will start flashing to present the error code. I would recommend to go to following Sony link and download firmware update file, copy it into USB memory as per Sony instructions..https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL46EX500&upd_id=6829&os_group_id=18Plug the USB into TV and plug TV power cord then press power button and wait few seconds, if you see firmware update activity then let it finish. If there is no activity then I'm afraid it seems main board internal failure, power supply board is working fine and swapping the main board will help to resolve the issue. Please click following link to view part number info of main board for this TV that can also be found on label pasted on main board installed in TV, that part number will be used to search/ google it to get price and stock info to order the board..http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-857-593-31-a-board.htmI trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Standby led is red, not amber, my mistake.

I'll try the firmware update in the morning and let you know.

Thanks,

OK, take your time, if firmware update doesn't work then main board replacement is next choice to resolve the issue.Thanks.
Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I tried the firmware update, and thought it was updating, the green light came on for a short while, then the ***** *****ght began flashing and went on for a long time (20-30) min. Didn't help, nothing changed.

I then ordered a main board from eBay, supposedly checked and working 100%. I installed and turned the set on and herd the relay click. After what seemed like a long delay I herd a tone and saw Sony logo on screen for a moment then dark, backlights off, p/s voltages same as before with original main, can't turn set of with power button or remote. This momentary logo, tone and backlight doesn't repeat, acts same as original main now.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.What about indicator lights on TV, are they still lit in same colors as with old main board?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Yes, I get a red led at plugin, and a green led at turn on. Have to unplug to turn off TV.

OK, have you tried to update firmware one more time with the new board in TV?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I plugged in the usb flash drive and plugged in the TV. I got a red standby led and hit the power button. Didn't hear a turn on relay but still have the red led and after a while the amber led came on. No flashing just solid red and solid amber and been on 20 min. or more.

This is odd, have you checked the firmware downloaded files size as mentioned on Sony link page?If file size is different then download it again to proceed.What USB memory stick you're using and please copy the file into root directory of USB stick, not in any folder on it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I follower the directions and checked the file size and it's in the root directory no folder.

OK, unplug TV power cord for 5 minutes, replug back in while USB memory is still plugged in TV, turn On the TV and give it some time to see if firmware update begins correctly?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

OK, while unplugged, I reformatted a different flash drive fat32. I sent the firmware file (verified 19.8 MB) to the root directory of the flash drive. Plugged in the flash drive while TV still unplugged. Plugged in TV and hit the power button. I have a solid red led and in 10 seconds a solid amber led. Everything is same as before.

If the update is same as the installed firmware will the update run?

If main board has already latest firmware then update file wont run.Please unplug TV power cord, pull the USB memory, replug TV power cord and turn On the TV.What happens when Sony logo screen disappear, does TV stay On and screen glow/ show backlight?Any graphics, menu etc appears on screen?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The beep and Sony logo screen only appeared the first two times I powered on the set with the new main board. It was only on a couple seconds then the backlights went off nothing visible after that. I had an HDMI input attached so I tried to turn up the volume and pressed the input button multiple time to try to get audio, but no luck. Green power led stayed on but had to unplug to turn off.

OK, so TV doesn't turn Off itself nor when push power button on TV itself or on its remote?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Yes, that is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I unplugged the main board Saturday and didn't try again till today. Plugged the main back in and hit the power, Sony logo and tones, relay clicks and red light starts blinking 4 blinks. I hit the power and red blinking light goes off green power led and Sony logo and tones again, relay clicks and 4 blink red. I unplugged and tried again, now back as before, red standby, hit power button and get green power led, nothing else happens, unplug to power off.

OK, working on it and get back to you in few minutes.
4 times flashing red power light is an error code that points faulty backlight inverter board but wired thing is TV didn't present this error code before and not even now which is very confusing.Power supply board is providing correct volts as they mentioned in initial question post, main board has already been replaced and not sure what is causing the problem in TV. Have you tried to recheck connectors/ cables plugged in boards to be sure they are all align and plugged securely and tight?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I picked up a used inverter board and installed in TV. I turned on and got picture sound and menus, and power button turns on and off. Problem is it works for two or three minuets then shuts off with flashing red 4 blink error. Subsequent tries get shorter and shorter till back where we started.

Have you tried to recheck connectors/ cables plugged in boards to be sure they are all align and plugged securely and tight?- Was the picture clear during first 2-3 minutes or any part of screen looks darker than other areas?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Checked all plugs and connectors. Screen picture, controls, everything look normal till abrupt shut down and 4 blink red error. Put original main board back in and it works same way.

I think we have tried all possible ways to troubleshoot the issue but couldn't fix the TV, only thing left is LCD panel where the backlight lamps fail after some time and caused 4 times blinks but it is just a guess and not confirmed. I'm out of ideas what is causing the problem so let me opt out to repost the question for other experts to have a look, I tried best to troubleshoot the issue and I hope you wont hit me with bad-service/ negative rating which will damage my score on website.I'm opting out now and hopefully another expert will soon respond to assist you further.Thanks and good luck~Shahid.
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician