Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

We have a sony bravia lcd tv.. having trouble connecting

Customer Question

Hello... We have a sony bravia lcd tv.. having trouble connecting external hard drive to play movies....when connected via usb nothing comes onto the screen...the external hard drive works well on our pc...our tv is approx. 8 years old model no. KDL-46W5500
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I`m Jack , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;Have you ever played a movie on this tv through the USB port ?Was it with an external drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no we haven't done anything like this before
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then this tv can play movies through the USB port but it has its limitationsThis is what sony says for this tv ,quote;" Operations are not guaranteed for all USB devices. Also, operations differ depending on the features of the USB device and the video being played." This means that it is possible that the usb port on this tv is made for memory sticks only ( USB Mass Storage Class standards.) not hard drives and also the format supported by the tv is MPEG1 (mpg) , if your movies are AVI ,MKV,MOV or other formats but MPG then this tv won`t see it .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Try to copy a movie with the extension .MPG on a memory stick and insert it , that should play without problems
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
It will also take a movie camera that does have a USB port ,preferably sony cam according to the manual .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You can look this up in the manual on page 24 , click here for the manual ; http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/sony0/Sony_KDL-46W5500_manual.pdf
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried inserting usb with movie on and it doesn't come up either.. the screen remains blank??
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to step out for a bit
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
What format/extension was that movie ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
This is from your manual again ;USB playback is supported for the following video file format:– MPEG1 (files with the extension “.mpg”)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was just a home movie put onto usb for us to watch .. I don't know what format.. all I know everything works on our pc.. but we find too small to watch it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
A PC will read just about any format out there so that is not surprising but an 8 year old tv will not do that and in this case only one format will do and that is .MPG and there are other factors like the formatting of the usb key itself , was it fat fat32 ,ntfs ,dos ?A large modern drive like above 4 gigs may well not be seen by the older tv as well.What you would need is a cheap media device that reads and play those through the TV's hdmi port , here is an example ; http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-stock-US-Plug-1080p-HD-3D-media-player-HD-Media-Box-Flash-Play-System-Full/32574281808.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=***-***-****&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=230049721&albag=13539119881&slnk=&trgt=63000991512&plac=&crea=en32574281808&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=CjwKEAjwguu5BRDq8uSKhaKIzDkSJACQ7WJl0ZiErOoMVzekFtOVCXLbSFh2lZjdIBUWc59w1m4rQhoCySHw_wcB
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
There are some that will also output on USB .These thing will take in USB drives , sticks also SD cards and other medias and send it to your tv , note the remote as well
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You can also search ebay Australia for TV MEDIA PLAYER and you will find quite a few
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you... I have to go to another appointment.. I will do the things you suggested.. Wendy
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Any other questions Wendy ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall do .. Wendy
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and by the way here is that box on ebay aussiehttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AGPtek-Blue-Mini-Full-HD-1080P-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player-MKV-RM-SD-USB-HDD-/321885297719?hash=item4af1dbdc37:g:nPIAAOSw4HVWEswP
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Same here and better price ; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-1080P-Mini-Media-Player-MKV-H-264-RMVB-Full-HD-W-HOST-USB-SD-Card-Reader/261860176831?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Dcb83488c50b346b789115124053313de%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321885297719