Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a Magnovox 42MF231D/17 Plasma TV.... there was no

Customer Question

I have a Magnovox 42MF231D/17 Plasma TV.... there was no picture on the TV. When you press the power button there would be 2 clicks and the screen would not light up.
I replaced the 42MF231D/17 SUB Power Supply 996500039181, 715K2085-1 because some Youtube videos seemed to indicate the capacitors on that board might be the source of the issue. My HDMI port had gone bad years ago and I was using composite cables, so I also replaced the Scaler Board 3138(###) ###-####3 313815866271 #M6174 so I could use the HDMI port again.That did not fix the problem, so I spoke to a technician that suggested replacing Y Sustain LJ92-01-200A Board, and so I also replaced the two buffer boards.... I replaced the buffer boards one at a time first and the screen still did not come on, so I repalced the Y Sustain board, and the screen now "works"... it came on, but the time half has lines across it - the bottom half is sharp and clear- I can upload a picture when you reply....
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome It would appear that the lower buffer board that drives that area of the screen is either not connected properly or is bad, have you thoroughly checked the connections? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the TV is mounted upright, can you tell me if the upper board or the lower board controls the top of the screen.... Because you wrote "lower" board... Just want to verify that a physical position/location and not a technical term.... Also, just funny that they designed it so the lower board control the top of the screen and vice versa.... So that is board 01203A...?And would the bridge between the boards cause this, or only the ribbon connectors or a bad IC chip.....?Thanks for your help.
The thing I come across most is that people do not fit the ribbon leads correctly or maybe damage the ribbon leads you need to re-check those first I do not know off -hand which is the lower or upper boards but they should be indicated when you ordered?where did you get the boards from? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From eBay, but I swapped those out first one at a time and the screen didn't come on until I changed the Y Support board, so my old IC boards are probably fine and after checking the ribbon connections I could put the old one back as well if need be
No you cant do that with buffer boards as they are usually responsible for the demise of the Y sus ouput board so there is a risk the new Y sus could be damaged
Usually all 3 y sus and both buffers are replaced all at the same time It is very probable that the buffer board is bad that you got (assuming you think the ribbon leads are good) Let me know if you need more help Please consider rating the answer positively there will be a rating bar of stars usually at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please reply back and I will address any of your concerns, note the question NEVER closes, its open for further advice if necessaryMany ThanksAnthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I re-seated all the connectors and it does the same thing. I need to know which board controls the top of the screen so I don't need to buy both again, and maybe one of those is bad also.1 - Please let me know which of these two boards controls the top of the screen....2 - I want to confirm that the ribbon on the Y board would have not effect on this?3 - Could the Y board be bad?