Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have sony xbr-65x850b that just shut down and the on white

Customer Question

have sony xbr-65x850b that just shut down and the on white led under tv front just blinks on and off. what is wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand that blinking light is an error code used to determine what is wrong with the set. Can you plese count the number of blinks between pauses (for example: 8 blinks, pause, 8 blinks, pause, etc) and let me know what you get? Also how old is the TV please?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you are able to see my reply. I need to step out in 20 minutes, hope to hear from you before then.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. The site automatically sends that offer, it's not something I have control over. If you need assistance, simply reply back on this page please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just blinks once then pause pretty much blinks continously. bought in 2015 February
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. The blinking does indicate a hardware issue, and offhand- one blink would be a code, but we would need to be 100% certain. Each code presents something different. (1X, 2X, 3X, etc.). However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If the set does not power up, then I will need to know the following: 1) Is the light still blinking, if so- any change in the perceived code? 2) Does that light start blinking as soon as the set is plugged in, or only after the power button is pressed? 3) When power is pressed, does the screen attempt to light up- even for a second?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stlll blinks continously and does it as soon as it is plugged in. no power button is hit for this to happen. reset didnt work
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and sorry to hear that. Are you 100% certain there's no pattern besides one blink, one blink, one blink? It may be hard to tell the groups, but there should be a slightly longer pause. The blink codes can go up to 13.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no pattern
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then unfortunately the blinking does not highlight a specific failure in the set- it's a general trouble code however, and could be caused by a faulty Mainboard (most common when it occurs before power is pressed) or in some cases a premature failure on the power supply board. There's not a quick fix for this however and to fix the set would require replacement of a part. In order to narrow down which is the cause - with certainty, the back of the set would need to be removed and voltages tested in the TV. If this is not something you're comfortable with, you're generally looking at between $275-$350 parts and labor for this repair (which I realize is dismal news on this TV that is barely over a year old). What I would suggest is to call Sony and DILIGENTLY COMPLAIN about this issue. This TV is barely out of warranty, and in many cases they will cover a portion of or all of the repair.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Sony Repair or Exchanges1-***-***-**** You can also try leaving the set unplugged for several hours (overnight is best) in the hopes that this resets the processor on the Mainboard- and the set operates normally at that point. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If this is something that you are looking to repair yourself (swap the Mainboard) then let me know and I will dig for that part. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?