Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Why does my tv not exit the language select screen I called

Customer Question

why does my tv not exit the language select screen I called my service provider and all conncetions are ok and I changed batteries in the remote
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I`m Jack Perhaps I can help you with this problem , please send me a reply when you see this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a sanyo DP32649 was working fine last night when I turned it on today the SELECT Your Language was on and I can't exit it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called Comcast and all signales are ok---checked the connections and replaced batteries in remote---still have the same screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Joann , seems like the connection is breaking up ,Can you give me 15 minutes or so ?Be right back and sorry about that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks
Cant hear on the phone very well
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Just got your last reply and trying to see what can be done about the breaking connectionThanks for your patienceBy the way if you received a phone offer it was automated from the web site ,not from me and we won`t need it for now anyway unless you`d rather do this on the phone , let me know.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I believe we have a good connection nowSorry about thatDo you still have the TV's original remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I do
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Just another question then ;Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
digital box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is relavtively new and comcast checked it today
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then on the TV`s remote you can see the INPUT button top left ?If so then press it a few times to go through the inputs until the tv gets back to the cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Make sure the cable box is turned on too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to the hdmi1 ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Most often yes that is where it gets connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok and the language screen came up
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
It say HDMI 1 on the screen and also has the language setup screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
What happens if you select English (or your preferred language) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing i can go to settings but it always goes back to this screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then , do you have anything else connected to this tv , like a dvd or game perhaps ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , please ignore the typo`s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dvd i tried it earlier and it worked fine
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k so this means you can switch input (to dvd) and it works but the cable box connected to HDMI 1 is asking you for the language setup ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i played a video thinking maybe it would allow me to exit that and get a tv channel---buy ! didnt happen--
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem , we`ll figure this out
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You said that Comcast checked their box ;How exactly did they do that ?From their office or at your home ?Did this Comcast setup ever worked and stopped or is this a new setup ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called them and they sent signals said every thing was ok - have phone and internet with them and they are ok ---- no problems before this morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a modem for the phone and internet
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then , they cannot test anything beyond what is called a "PING" to the modem/cable box from where they are and this means that they will not know what is happening with that box beyond that ping like the wiring to your tv for example.If you try that dvd again , does it work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
comcast was here when I got the new cable box and everything is new as fas as cables and connections about 6 weeks ago---
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been working fine --no problems--until this morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i played a vidoe just befor I contacted you it was okay
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Please try to follow the directions of my questions , it is important for me that you`d be as precise as possibleIf you try that dvd again , does it work ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , we cross posted
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
So you can change the tv`s input to the dvd and it works ?If so , what HDMI input shows up as info when you select the dvd player ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
This tv has 2 HDMI input Which one is the DVD setup to please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have the dvd playing again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Playing on video 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv is set on hdmi 1
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you try all of the tv`s INPUT ?Do you know where those guys connected the cable box on the tv ?I mean which input ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Right now it sounds like you are on the first time setup which would be the tv`s TUNER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on hdmi 1 from cable box to tv
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then sorry to say but your tv`s hdmi inputs , or at least HDMI 1 went defective Can you try and pull out the single hdmi cable from HDMI 1 and plug it just below into HDMI 2 ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
There may be another way of doing this if this just quit while working ;Here is something for you to try ;Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i lost the page trying to avoid the pop ups
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll change the hdmi and try the other
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting POP UPS ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work still there with hdmi2 and unplugging
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k and when you switch the tv to hdmi 2 , does it still ask for the language setup ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Doesn`t make sense beyond a defective main board then Sorry but it is the only logical conclusion.I`m sure you know this 7 years tv very well by now so it is obvious that we are not talking about some wiring or settings.I can give you the details for a DIY type of repair but i would not go beyond that if you want my professional opinion If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired could cost you around $200 parts included If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.com This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town . You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 6 or 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if
Customer: replied 1 year ago.