TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

The display unit will not come on! there are two wires from

Customer Question
the receiver to the display...
the display unit will not come on! there are two wires from the receiver to the display unit one white and one black. On removing the black connection the display comes on showing green and red square. On reconnecting the black connection the display shows only the red standby light. Can you help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/9/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician
Hello Frank, what is the status of the light on the Media Receiver box please? Also are there ANY blink codes on either the Media Receiver or the PDP (display) at any point in time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When powered on the receiver has both red and green lights on. With no cables connected between receiver and pdp. The lights both red and green flash alternatively.
Okay so to clarify- with no cables to the MR the lights flash, or with cables connected to the MR the lights flash? Also the light never blinks on the PDP?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With no cables attached the PDP lights blink Red andGreen alternating
Could the problem be the cable? If I power on the Pdp with no cables attached IT DOES COME ON BUT ONLY WITH A RED SQUARE AND A GREEN SQUARE must mean something
Yes I saw the part about the red and green square- so I have that info. I'm asking specifically about the lights on BOTH devices to reference that in the service manual as well. No cables attached and those squares means your MR OR those cables are defective. That is why I am asking if the lights ON THE MEDIA RECEIVER stay red and green, or if they ever flash at any time please?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hear you. The receiver has both red and green lights On and steady. No blinking.
Okay, generally the MR blinks if it's bad, so this would point more towards those cables. Have you removed them and checked both ends to make sure there are no bent pins, dust or perhaps even oxidation/corrosion on the ends of the cables?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a cursory look but being no expert not quite sure. The white cable incidentally when connected affects nothing i.e. All lights remain the same as described however when I plug in the black cable the Pdp stops flashing and remains on red standby lamp and will not come on or power on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to try and clean the cable ends???
Yes, I would try using a contact cleaner like De-Oxit, on the ends of the cable spraying liberally and also try spraying the contacts on the MR and on the display and see what happens. Beyond that you would want to try new cables.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will try and hope for the best. The cables are not available in Cairo-Egypt. Do you have part numbers I can use to order them on line?
I will try to pull these up and see what I can come up with- will postback shortly.
These cables are called "Pioneer System Cables" and are part number: ADF1021 You can try Googling that part number to see what's available for you in Egypt, and offhand below is a vendor I located (but am not privy to where they ship to): http://www.partsimple.com/adf1021-pio-n-13.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw6sC5BRCogcaY_dKZ2nESJABsZihxUGGmQ13spRWSvoNh_xCwMRcNfd68HYg_9rZqXZYEeBoCZPDw_wcB
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank u. By the way when the tv is on and the red and green squares come does it mean anything in particular???
You're welcome. Yes, the red and green squares generally mean there is no Input signal from the MR. To look this up with more detail, I need the full model number off of the PDP (display), not the MR which you posted above.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes sure it is PDP-435 pg
Thanks. Looking this up now.
The service manual doesn't state anything at all about the blocks on the screen, or alternate flashing of the red and green lights (I have seen those before however and they point to a loss of communication). It only states single light blink codes (such as 8 blinks from the standby light= faulty address board, etc.). When the screen is on with the green and red blocks, if you grab the Pioneer remote and press MENU, can you get the MENU to appear on the screen?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried but was sure that without the receiver connected this is just A DISPLAY UNIT.
The MENU with picture settings, etc. is generated in the display itself. What happened when you tried?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing. I get seeing the big red and green squares.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry kept seeing .........
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anyone there???
Aric, Technician