Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a samsung plasma tv that has vertical lines JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

I have a samsung plasma tv that has vertical lines
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Its start with a vertcal line at the very right side of the screen. Then it multiplied.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I suspect it will be multiplying further
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Are you able to get me the model number off of the back of the set? Also, if you press MENU on the set, does the MENU display clearly over these lines, or are the lines on top of the MENU? I also need to know HOW thick these lines are and if they are colored or black.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung ps64f550
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, if you press MENU on the set, does the MENU display clearly over these lines, or are the lines on top of the MENU? I also need to know HOW thick these lines are and if they are colored or black.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lines are on top of the menu, some of them goes on and of. The one line on the very right is about an inch while the rest are just single grid. How much am I oaying for these questions? Is it per question or per time? My plasma came from australia, the line started about a month ago. Some lines disappear and comes back later.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I still need to know the color of those lines? Reason being is black lines point to one thing while colored lines point to another. Billing? I'm not a site employee- so don't do anything with billing- but NO you don't pay for each reply you're paying the site ONE deposit for the entire dialog. On that note- I am only credited a PORTION of that amount with a POSITIVE RATING. Let's continue with your TV now.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The lines....are they multi-colored or black please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. First time here. The lines are colored and changes color depending it whats being viewed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also goeas all the way from top to bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also inceease in. Number.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Alright, if the lines are coming and going like that (or at least some of them), then you're looking at the Plasma display processing boards failing. Not your Plasma display panel itself, but rather the Sustain and Buffer/Scan boards which all work in tandem to produce the image on the screen, would need to be replaced. So there's not a pushbutton fix or any settings that will correct this. That said, are you looking to try to repair this yourself, or looking to see what this would cost to repair at a shop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not live in philippines there aren't many good repair tv repair guys here. I can repair some bit diagnosing is my issue here and how to order replacement part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to tell me what part number I will need to replace? And where to order it. I will need it shipped to philippines
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There would be multiple part numbers- both Sustain boards and the associated scan/driver boards. I will need to look and see if these are even available. I would have no way of knowing what shop ships to the Philippines however. I'm not privy to that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant I do not live in USA. I am from philippines
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find a single part listed as available for that set. Can you double check that model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inam not surprised since the tv is from australia. That said. The model number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 64 inch plasma tv samsung. Smart tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What exactly is that part called? I might be able tonfind a supplier here in philippines or order it from australia. need to know exacrly what its called
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Found that model number- thanks. However not a single parts supplier or even part number is ***** for this set. The only way you will be able to locate parts is to remove the back of the TV, then pull the part numbers off of the sustain, and driver boards (essentially every board except the power supply, logic board and mainboard) and Google search for those part numbers to find sources, then inquire about shipping. eBay is generally a great source for those parts, but form where I'm at now- I cannot find anything available.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Those parts are called "Y Main", "X Main", Y buffer upper and lower, and SCAN boards upper and lower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how manybparts exactly am I needing to replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Youblisted 5 parts.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I listed 6 parts. I posted that in my last reply. Those parts ALL work in tandem to provide your display- they all work together. One failing takes the others with it. Here they are: 1) Y Main2) X Main3) Y driver upper4) Y driver lower5) Scan upper6) Scan lower
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the parts roughly how much am I looking at cost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is worth fixing? Or just buy a new one. How many percent sure are you with the diagnostic and will I be sure to fix it.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The cost of parts alone is generally going to be in the $250-$300 range total for used/pulled parts. As far as the diagnosis, this is something I've seen about 100 times over the 7 years I've been on the site. Plasma sets are complicated beasts and all of those parts I listed above work together. Too many times people replace one or two boards, and then the actual failure was a different one and takes out their brand new boards. So the shotgun approach is to replace all of those listed to fix the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I I have to replace them one at a time. Please list the order that meeds to be replace 1.being the most likely to be the problem. 6being the last.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That isn't going to work. As I said you're going to end up with a bad board taking out one of your replacements. I've seen this dozens of times. I will need to opt out at this point since I've provided all of the information I possibly can on this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if going to buy a new tv insted? Wpuld u say I should not buy samsung again? If so which tv wpuld likely last for a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The old TV could be sold for spare parts, or you could break it up yourself and sell the parts to help recoup some of the cost of a new TV set.