Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5020fd Plasma TV with an 8 blue blink

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5020fd Plasma TV with an 8 blue blink code. I hit the display button on the remote and I'm getting 3 orange blinks with the 8 blue blinks- B. B-O-B, B, B-O-B, B, B, O. I've replaced the IO board with a lightly used on from an online repair shop. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The Service Manual shows the 8 blinks is a fault in your digital video board, not your IO (AWW1352) board. Was the board you replaced the one with the AV jacks located on it? Also were the symptoms and blink code exactly the same both before and after replacing this board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the board I replaced was the one with the AV jacks on it. I was told that it was a small 6 pin part to start, so I ordered one for $30.00 and soldered that in. Still not working correctly. I then replaced the board with the AV jacks on it. Still not working correctly. When I push the Display button on the remote, I get the blink code sequence previously mentioned. If I fiddle with the power and display button enough, I can get it to turn back on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what I was asking was- after and before each change you made did you still get an 8 blue blink code please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir, I did- 8 blue blinks before and after I swapped the boards. I did not know about the Display button feature, so I do not know if it was giving the same blue/ orange code before I switched the boards.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The other culprit that causes that 8 blink code is the digital video board- it links with your AV Mainboard in the set and they both communicate together. The digital video board can be purchased at the link below (or you can use that part number to locate a board elsewhere as well): http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-50-PDP-5020FD-AWV2543-ANP2212-A-Video-Processing-Assy-Board-Discount-/172031127384?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The service manual actually shows the Digital Video assembly as being the first cause, and then beyond that the IO board. Many people find that IO repair kit on Ebay and think it's the fix, but in many cases it's not. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this definitely the correct board? And is the replacement process about the same level of difficulty as replacing the other board (as in remove the back after sitting for a day without power and don't do anything stupid like forget to remove a screw or a connector)? Also, will I need to reinstall or update software or firmware?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Is it definitely the correct board? Meaning the one for your set? Take a look to make sure if you're curious but that's what a quick search of your model number shows, and yes that is the digital video processing board, which is what the service manual for Pioneer PDP's shows causes the 8 blink error code. There is no firmware or software needed (or available in that case) for Pioneer Plasma sets and yes you would want to leave the set unplugged for several hours before going in. Always be careful with screw and connectors no matter what you're working on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It is the same procedure, meaning it's a plug and play board. They all are in these sets. Sorry I misread what you were asking. So yes, it would be the same as when you replaced the IO board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. So I'll go ahead and order that board. Once I get it into the TV and ensure that it works, what do I do to make sure you get paid?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good. The positive rating ensures I am paid a portion of the deposit for my work. It would be clicking either 3,4 or 5 stars at the top of the page. You can also follow up at any time once you've rated (rating does not close the question).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question. Would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AWV2543-ANP2212-A-AWW1347-Video-Process-Assy-for-PRO-111-5020FD/301940304337?_trksid=p999999.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3Db415fd47b1f44e11bb5381ab5c195487%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D331789104289
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure- I see conflicting part numbers. Your best bet is to visually identify the board in your set- and pull the part numbers right off your board and make sure they match 100% with the one you're buying. We run into this lots in the field and have no way of knowing if Pioneer sub'd a different part, if they're compatible, etc. So we simply stick with the same part number to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will verify the part number tomorrow just to make sure. Thank you for all of your help again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That's a good call. You're welcome and best of luck. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I just put the new board into the TV set and fired it up... It is still doing the same thing it was doing before. 8 blue blinks and it will not kick on. I definitely hear a clicking noise on the large board above the one I replaced. At this point, I do not know what else to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With EVERYTHING I've read, I keep seeing that if it isn't the two boards I've replaced, it's either the Main Board or the Power Supply Board? Is there any chance that this could be correct? I'm afraid to send any of the parts I've ordered back until I can make sure it isn't any of them.