TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a sony sound bar connected to my television. THE PROBLEM

Customer Question
IS THAT THE SOUND BAR...
I have a sony sound bar connected to my television. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SOUND BAR HAD BEEN WORKING WELL FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF. TODAY THE SOUND BAR
WILL NOT STAY ON AND WILL TURN OFF AFTER TWO OR THREE SECONDS. I HAVE REPLACED THE REMOTE BATTERY, HOWEVER THE BAR WILL NOT STAY ON. CAN YOU HELP//
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
5/1/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Could you please try disconnecting the subwoofer as well as any connection cords to the tv or other devices, so that the soundbar is connected to the power outlet only. Will it come on that way?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Disconnected the power line to the TV. Tried the unit and still turns off after two or three seconds
Well not power to the tv, disconnect the subwoofer from the soundbar, and the signal cable from tv to soundbar.Soundbar should be connected to power only, all by itself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after your answer about the wolfer, I disconnected the wolfer and tried the unit again. Same symtomstays on for two seconds and then shuts off.
Okay thank you for confirming.So this isolates that it is not a matter of a fault in a connected device (tv or sub), indicating that this is an internal hardware defect in the soundbar itself, meaning a faulty power supply or control board component. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs for this type of system are not feasible, as there are no parts available and the cost of labor alone would be twice what the system is worth (on average about $300). For this type of system, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new sound system with a fresh warranty in the $100-200 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Do you need more help with this?Nathan
Nathan, Installer