TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

How do I clean Monitor screen? I cleaned with Windex. There are lines.

Customer Question
Cleaned monitor screen with Windex...

Cleaned monitor screen with Windex glass cleaner. Monitor morphed to vertical colored lines and spaces. I loosened, then tightened connection, and monitor went black. Can you help ?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
4/28/2016
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 1 year ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Is this a computer monitor you are referring to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is an Acer flat monitor, not a TV monitor

Okay thank you. Have you checked both ends of the monitor cable to make sure they are secure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yup.checked the surge protector
Back of PC as well

Is the power button light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Yes. Nothing seems amiss!! Except the monitor is black.

Okay, power down the computer then unplug the power cord from the monitor and leave it for about a minute or better. Plug the monitor back in then power up the computer and let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did as you instructed. No luck :(

How old is the monitor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two years !

Okay. I need you to try something but will need a flashlight to do it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I think it must be difficult addressing all problems. I was trying to avoid going to the geek squad!

They most likely won't be able to do anything for you except charge you a diagnostic fee. If you have a flash light I may be able to tell you what the problem is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a torch on my cell !! What are your thoughts?

If it is bright enough, hold it flush to the monitor screen and see if you can faintly see any of your desktop icons. You can even try moving the mouse to see if you can see the pointer move.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Black as a starless night :(

Okay. There should be a menu button on the monitor. Try pressing that to see if you can bring up the on screen menu.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No menu button. There is a wheel on bottom right that can dim or increase the lighting behind the monitor.

Can you give me the model number of the monitor please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
S271HL

It looks like the menu button is located on the base of the monitor. Can you check please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Sorry. No button on base of monitor.....

Feel along the under side of the monitor on the right side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

There is a wheel. It dims and increases brightness of monitor. It hasn't worked for a while. I appreciate your efforts I need to call it a night !;

Okay I understand. I am sending you this LINK so you are better able to see what I am talking about.

Let me know if you would like me to assist you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thank you, ***** *****

Have a good night!

Louie, Technician