Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Sony Soundbar will not work when plugged into tv. We have

Customer Question

Sony Soundbar will not work when plugged into tv.
We have a Toshiba Model # *****
Sony Soundbar : HT-cT80
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What type of cable/connections are you using to connect the soundbar to the TV please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The soundbar came with optical digital cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also purchased an audio optical cable
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So, now you mentioned something about Netflix and a Blu Ray not producing sound through the soundbar. Is the sound coming from the TV's built in speakers right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we turn the volume done on tv. Turn bluray on Netflix and sound does not come thru soundbar
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
First make sure the soundbar is set to the DIGITAL INPUT using the Sony remote's Input button. Then raise the volume on the soundbar. Go into the Toshiba MENU and follow the instructions on page 19 of the manual below and select BOTH the PCM and DD options to see if either one gives you sound: http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20081026144100/Manuals/052/05246RV525.PDF Let me know what happens and make sure you follow all of the instructions posted here (and at the link) to the letter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. If you need more assistance, simply reply back on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The choices on the soundbar remote are
Usb, analog, optical
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Choose OPTICAL since you are plugged in there and follow the rest of the instructions I posted please.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Did you choose optical, and turn the volume up? Also, did you go into the TV MENU and select both PCM (then check for sound) as well as Dolby Digital (and check for sound again)?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.