TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

JA: . What do you want help with?Customer:

Customer Question
Hello JA: Hello. What do you...
Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: i have a Samsung pn64f8500 plasma tv that flashes the power light 11 times slowly and then 4 times fast. The picture does not come on.After several attempts to power on it will come on and stay on as if nothing is wrong. only fails at startup sometimes.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: I am handy to trouble shoot and have a voltmeter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
4/20/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Is the problem occurred when turn On the TV first time in morning/ TV is cold?- Once TV has turned On and displays normal picture, turn it Off and back On within minute as a test, does the problem reoccurs?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem is anytime. Once it turns on the picture is good.
OK, is the TV connected to internet?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes via wifi.
Thanks for the info, I would recommend to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset the TV that might help to resolve the problem.If it doesn't fix the issue then I'm sorry it seems main board or power supply board of TV is failing and causing the problem. Samsung TV has no info about error codes of flashing power light, since TV works fine when switches On after few tries that indicates sustain boards are fine and suspected boards are either main board or power supply board that should be checked/ swapped in TV to determine what board is causing the problem.Please click following links to view main board and power board image and part number info that can be used to search/ google it to get replacement board price and stock info to order it if you are looking to do-it-yourself, please confirm the pat number match with the number written on label pasted on board inside TV..http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-06205c-main-board-for-pn64f8500afxza.htmhttp://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-00603a-power-supply-unit.htmIf you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...http://www.tvrepairpros.com/I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get the last reply?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have tried what you are already suggesting. I thought I paid for troubleshooting.
If troubleshooting means to repair the main board or power board on component level then I'm sorry it is not possible even if TV is in front of me because these type of circuit boards are not possible to repair on component level nor Samsung provides detailed schematics for troubleshooting and spare parts to replace the bad parts on circuit board so only option is to swap entire board to ensure repair an product quality.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the back of the tv removed. How can we narrow down to which board is bad? I have checked the power supply and the Vs voltage dips down to 11volts and Va down to around 1 volt when the set is not turning on.
Va and Vs volts controlled by main board when it send PowerOn command to power board. While in Off mode you would check standby volts of power supply board, it would be 5V DC, if these volts are stable/ constant then go for main board replacement and if 5V DC is low/ unstable then swap power supply board.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5 volt is stable. Which main board? As they all seem to be labeled as main.
Main board is one where all HDMI/ Video input jacks are mounted, tuner box is also mounted on that board. CLick following link to view main board image which will help you to locate it easily in TV..http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-06205c-main-board-for-pn64f8500afxza.htmThere would be a label/ sticker pasted on main board having part number and should be like BN94-06205C or some thing similar that number can be used to search/ google to get replacement main board price and stock info to order it. Replacement of main board would be easy, no soldering work is required.I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.Thanks.
Do you need any further assistance with this question?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I replaced the Main board like you recommended and the tv will not turn on just like before. What is the next step in troubleshooting?
Sorry to hear that, did you get identical/ exact replacement main board having same part number as of old main board?Also, have you checked the connectors/ cables are plugged securely and tight after new main board installation?Do you get any change in TV symptoms?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes same part number and double checked all connections. No changes in tv symptoms.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a slow flashing green light on the main board. when powered on but no picture..
OK, please set your voltmeter to DC volts range and check STBY (standby volts) at pin-2 and PS-ON volts on pn-1 of connector CN801 of power supply board, its harness goes to main board of TV.Do you get constant/ stable standby volt reading on meter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pin 2 has 5.2V dc and pin 1 has .15 with tv powered on. With tv powered off pin 2 has 5.2v and pin 1 has 3.25v.
The standby voltage is steady at the 5.2v reading.
Thanks for the info, that volt check shows power supply board is working fine.I'm working on it and get back with you in few minutes. Is this OK?
Lets try to upgrade TV firmware (internal software) as new main board might need it. Please go to following Samsung link and download Upgrade File (USB type) along with Upgrade Guide pdf file for detailed instructions to proceed..http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/PN64F8500AFXZAPlease reply with the result of successful firmware update.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can i upgrade if i can not see a picture?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The original board had the current firmware.
Good question, copy the firmware file onto USB memory stick as per Samsung instructions, unplug TV power cord and hook the USB memory stick into TV, replug TV power cord back in and press power button.TV should stay On and update would start, flashing light on USB memory stick (if it has any light) will show that update process is going on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it matter which usb port i connect the usb on the tv?
Yes, TV goes to check USB-1 port by default then USB-2 so hook the memory stick into USB-1 port please.
Hi, I need to go offline now for few hours, will reply you when come online.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The usb drive is plugged in to the TV but does not appear to be read. It's not flashing like when data is being excessed. I plugged it to the USB port that labeled usn(hdd 5v)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
USB(HDD 5v)
OK, it seems 1TB USB HDD is more than enough to handle for this set top box. How about flash drive that you formatted on PC?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I formatted the flash drive to fat32. It's an 8 gig flash drive. The usb port I used on the back of the tv is labeled usb (hdd 5v) it's not labeled usb 1,2 or 3.
OK, it seems HDD 5V USB port is for USB hard drive, do you see another USB port on TV to plug the flash drive into?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes there two other ports. but are not labled USB 1 or 2
OK, please try the first USB port just below the 'digital audio out optical' jack on side panel of TV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's still not reading the flash drive. In the Samsung instructions for updating the firmware it uses the menu screen to tell the tv to update.
I understand and if TV screen doesn't show any thing then we still can update TV firmware through above mentioned procedure. I'm really sorry I'm running out of ideas what is causing the problem so let me repost this question to other experts as some one will soon respond to assist you further.I'm opting out now to repost the question. Please do not rate my answers and leave them as it is.Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, will they respond to list post?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When should I expect to here from another technician?
I'm sorry about delay, it seems most of techs are off due to Sunday and hopefully today some one will respond, please note that all techs are not employee of website and work independently in spare/ convenient time.Thanks.
TV Technician: Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman replied 1 year ago
Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. Is the light flashing pattern the same every time or does it sometimes change from 11 to 12 before the 4 flashes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems to be about 11 flashes then 4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Some times it's 10 slow flashes then 4 fast.
Is the light red when this happens? How old is the TV? Do you have an extended warranty?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes red light. tv is about 2 years old no extended warranty.
That is normally a power supply issue. It will work for a while but eventually it's going to stop turning on and just do the 11 blinks. If you had an extended warranty this would normally be covered. Without one the board is usually around $150-$175 and labor would be about the same. This is the cheapest I have been able to find it: Click Here Unfortunately it is no longer available from what I have found. You may be able to find one somewhere on eBay. You can use the TV in the meantime it should not effect anything other parts once it fails the TV will just stop turning on completely. If you have any questions at all reply to me before rating and let me know so we can continue. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help so I am paid for my time it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, Samsung, your TV or what is required to fix your TV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there some troubleshooting that we can you do? you are not offering any more info then Shahid did. Did you read the entire conversation that he and i had? Regarding what we have already tried. the power supply does come up to voltage an the VS and VA but something is shutting that down it slowly drops in voltage on the VA and VS.
I did read what you are Shahid did it is why I did not mention the main board. From what you and he went through it is much less likely to be the problem but it would be the only other cause for this. The power supply board is unfortunately a common failure in Samsung plasma TV's in my opinion it should have been done before the main board since you did have it coming on and staying on.. I sincerely ***** ***** could give you better news but want to make sure I am first and foremost honest and accurate with the information I give you. If you have any questions at all reply to me before rating and let me know so we can continue. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help so I am paid for my time it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, Samsung, your TV or what is required to fix your TV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm Hesitant at just buying another board based on no testing. I'm out the money for the main board and now have to trust that it might be the power supply. I need more then just a guess.I'm a mechanic by trade, when a customer brings in a car and discribes a problem i don't tell them it sound like it could be this and start throwing parts at. I troubleshoot to isolate the problem. If this is all you have to offer then i cannot give you a good rating!
In order to do what you just described I would need it in front of me. And as I mentioned if it is the power supply board it will eventually just stop turning on and until then. It would be like trying to determine if a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) is the problem in a Chrysler without having the Chrysler anywhere near you. From everything you told me I am confident it is the power supply board and it is what I would replace if it were in front of me. If you have any questions at all reply to me before rating and let me know so we can continue. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help so I am paid for my time it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, Samsung, your TV or what is required to fix your TV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have test equipment i can be your eyes here.
You did the main tests I would need with Shahid when you did those did you test each cap, resistor etc on the power board with a volt meter? Each one of them should say the proper voltage on them though you may need a magnifying glass. This is a lot more time consuming but you may be able to find a couple caps giving out the wrong voltage that you can removed and solder new ones on. In some cases that will be enough to fix the board. It is actually why some kits like this one exist: Click Here If done improperly though you will end up damaging the board anyway. Make sure you ground yourself before testing anything, just holding the metal on the panel should be enough to ground yourself.
Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman