TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I'm finished doing a channel autoscan, and now I get a grey

Customer Question
box with "please run channel...
I'm finished doing a channel autoscan, and now I get a grey box with "please run channel autoscan" and I hit the enter key, and nothing happens. I can't find my westinghouse remote control manual. I even shut the tv off and on and it still pops up. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/10/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, In most cases if you were using the set before, and the Auto Scan message comes up- you will NOT do an auto scan but will instead change the INPUT the TV is set to. So, please tell me- WERE you watching this TV before- with no changes in connections? Also, how do you receive broadcasts on the set- through a cable box? What is the model number off the back of the TV (not the remote)?
Please send a quick reply so that I know you're there- I'm here to help you.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. If you'd like to continue, please reply back on this page. I will need the specifics above whether we were on the phone or typing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have inside antenna and lost a few channels, so I was doing autoscan, the model is DW37H1G1
Okay that is very bad news then, since if you are using an antenna and the TV is asking you to scan again- this indicates a fault in the TV itself- which is common to this set. All you can try on a user level is to do a hard reboot of the TV. 1) Disconnect the set form power then remove the antenna connection from the TV. 2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. 3) Plug the antenna back into the TV and make sure its power supply adapter (if applicable) is also plugged in. 4) Turn the TV on and make sure you have ANTENNA- and not CABLE selected then try the scan again. Let me know what happens.
Are you still having the same problem please?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just did all this and the grey box with same message still comes up.
Did you make sure the TV was set to ANT and not Cable?
Unfortunately if SO, then this means that either your TV's tuner or the Antenna itself has failed- and we have no way to isolate between the two without trying the antenna on another TV, or purchasing another antenna and connecting that to this TV.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it was not set to cable. I was watching tv earlier and a few channels came in except for a couple. so I tried the auto scan and now its stuck.
U read the reply where you ran another scan and here's the thing- IF it is not picking up channels now then the issue is the TV's tuner has failed or the antenna has failed, there's no two ways around it I'm afraid.
Do you have another TV you can connect this antenna to as a test? It's not uncommon for the TV's tuner to fail- with simply the auto scan as a catalyst, but we need to be able to rule out the antenna first. This unfortunately is the only way we can troubleshoot this issue further. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since we're not getting this resolved, please do not charge me.
I have nothing to do with billing I will opt out- good luck.
TV Technician: ,  replied 1 year ago
Phone call session started
Aric, Technician