TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We are in Canada and have a Sharp Aquos LC 60E88UN TV. Last

Customer Question
We are in Canada and...
We are in Canada and have a Sharp Aquos LC 60E88UN TV.
Last year we put the update in for the firmware and I believe it was USA only.
We tried to factory rest but firmware, of course, remains the same.
How can I get our TV back to the original Canadian firmware?
This has taken away our digital audio options.
Thank you in advance for your input.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
4/9/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

First thing I must say that I am a Canadian tech. and there are no difference in the model and/or firmware upgrade and it certainly would not affect the TV's audio

Are you having problems with the TV's optical port ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will put you to my husband Ken. Thanks

No problem , just let me know what seems to be the issue and we`ll troubleshoot this if necessary

Are you trying to get sound out of the TV's optical port ?

Lost the TV's audio perhaps ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband is calling Sharp on Monday because the update caused the issue. The TV we own isn't listed with Sharp Canada although we bought it in Canada.

o,k then if it is under warranty then by all means go ahead

As it was made in 2011 though I would be surprised if sharp would or could do anything about this beside sending you to a repair shop

good luck and let me know if you need help with that , I will be out now for dinner

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not under warranty anymore. But used to have 3 options under audio (audio setup, identification and software update) now all we have is software update so we can't even tell what firmware version is there.

Sorry but beside talking about firmware you still haven`t told me what the actual problem is although i did ask 3 times

So unless you tell me that then i cant help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a great dinner. I will go get ours as well.
The actual problem is: no audio return channel.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The TV was bought in July 2010.

I`m back ,

You are saying that nothing was changed either with the equipment added/removed etc. and the wiring is the same as it was and this used to work or you are trying to set it up now ?

That is the correct model number you gave me , yes ?

We are talking about ARC (audio return channel) , is that correct ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model number is ***** off side of TV. And we bought it then moved two months later. All was working fine here and stopped around time of firmware change.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have checked the AVR and settings seem correct there also.

O.k then perhaps but we are certainly not talking about ARC , this tv is not ARC capable , if it was then there would be one HDMI port that would have ARC printed next to it , most often HDMI 2 port and yours doesn`t and the manual doesn't talk about ARC either so you have another mean of connecting it to your AVR .

How is it connected to the AVR ??

who by the way is new here but then I suspected there was a sound system .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Audio Return Channel, I said AVR meaning receiver.

Perhaps you know about ARC but your tv is NOT capable of it so that is not your connection

Tell me everything you have here , cable box ,dvd, games etc. and the model number of the AVR and I`ll tell you how to make this work

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ken (Hubby) understands how it is all supposed to work. Can't figure out why it won't now. So asking expert advise. So I am the tpypist in-between.

I`m sorry but this is not gonna work so i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Typist. Lol or I thought
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for trying.

Looks like no one came forward and I`m willing to give this another shot but unlike yesterday where I simply could not have a shot at it because of missing info , today I need the model numbers of the equipment and what is exactly the problem ,like who or what doesn`t have sound so I can troubleshoot this like a normal problem .

Never mind the firmware or audio return channel that doesn`t exist on this tv , those are totally redundant,useless and would just muddy the whole thing like it did yesterday so if you wish to proceed let me know ?

Louie, Technician