Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Need help with my Samsung Tv the source button stopped working

Customer Question

Need help with my Samsung Tv the source button stopped working need trouble shoot.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barry and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, have you tried gently tapping on the on the TV panel's SOURCE button? Would input selection be possible using the original remote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that & I have the original remote not working.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the TV and devices connected to it. Additionally, please describe how these devices are connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Gave ya the model number earlier .... its just HDMI cable... been working all along all of a sudden it quit. Model# *****

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps a Samsung UN46B6000 ? ...not a UN4686000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

UN46B6000 yes ..also is there a way to reprogram the remote? its not working at all ..won't turn off TV or nothing.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the confirmation.There is a partial test to confirm if the original remote is working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself. Please post back results of camera test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i see a IR on digital came Lcd screen

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
If the HDMI can not be selected, then the HDMI cable and/or the device connected by HDMI to the TV would be suspect as it is a feature of this model that HDMI can not be selected if it detects no signal on the source selection. Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable? And/or checking the device connected by HDMI? If the remote tested good, then the IR sensor of the TV is suspect.Does pressing on the TV's front bottom panel SOURCE button causes a reaction, selection to be displayed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No nothing happens when I press the source button on the TV.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Can you please try checking or better yet replacing the HDMI cable? This would serve as an attempt of a fix and as a te3st by process of elimination. Incidentally, what is the model number of the device connected by HDMI to the TV please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just went and touch all buttons on the the panel of the TV everything works but the source button

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Either the SOURCE button is faulty...or as posted above, "...HDMI can not be selected if it detects no signal..."Likewise as posted above "...try checking or better yet replacing the HDMI cable..."