Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Yesterday, the sound on my elderly large Panasonic TV

Customer Question

Yesterday, the sound on my elderly large Panasonic TV suddenly ceased. We heard a click, similar to a light bulb burning out. I was unable to locate a manual to determine the model or move the TV to find a model number. The TV is located inside a large cabinet. The TV dimensions are 33" wide by 31"tall. The TV was purchased with the house, but my guess is that it is 12 to 15 years old. The picture is great and we still have closed caption. It is fine with me because of hearing loss, I must use closed caption all the time. However, my wife is naturally unhappy.
So, the question is, "Can the sound be restored and what is an estimated cost??"
Velmar ****(###) ###-####
Thanks in Advance for your assistance!
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
What is connected to this tv ?Cable box,satellite,dvd,games etc. ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
About that TV's size , would that be the screen size ?If so we would be talking about something like a rear projection tv with a 4:3 aspect ratio ?4:3 is the old style of TV's and 16:9 modern flat panel TV's by the way
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but that request`s payments failed apparently.not privy to any of the money matters myself but you can check that at this number 1.***-***-**** or we can proceed here in this chat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen of the TV is 36" Diagonal and 29 1/2 " Horizontal. Attached to TV Direct TV Box and a VCR. The TV is basically an old large TV, n
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then and did you lose the sound on both the direct tv and vcr or just the direct tv ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If you lost the sound only on the direct tv box then try a reboot , those box are notorious for sound problems .Just pull out its power cord 30 secs or so to reboot it.If you still have no sound then the tv would be the culprit and from what you`re telling me this is an old crt type tv and definitely past its prime so it would not be worth having a repairman at home for this at some $125 to start with . But there is a workaround to this and that would be a sound bar connected directly to the direct tv and vcrBeside fixing the problem it would give you a better sound than the tv speakers ,You can buy a decent bar for $100.Either ways you got a fix.If you happen to have a small amplifier and speakers handy you could use that as well , just connect it in the direct TV's audio out at the back
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Try the reboot of the satellite box and let me know
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
As I said above, if the direct tv box reboot fails then you would be looking at either a sound bar or small amplifier and speakers as a workaround , if you oopt for that solution then let me know if you need help setting this up .Otherwise it would be a tv repair and from what you are telling me it may not be worth the repair .Of course without the model number I could not be specific but if it is a 36" tv then it would be cheaper to buy a new one vs having a repairman at home .Still If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comThis will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help . Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack, Thanks for the very useful information, for now. We are departing for Northern Virginia on Thursday and probably return early December. If I cannot resolve the TV sound problem with your information and maybe some extra research, you will probably hear from me in December.My first objective when arriving in VA is to organize my fishing equipment for a week small bass fishing on Dale Hallow, TNN. Probably my last outing with my fishing buddies. I will be 93 in two weeks but still going strong. Thanks! VEL
My Motto...Every day of fishing adds another day to my life!!v
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem , have a good trip and and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.