TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a CT-27D30B CRT TV set (an oldie). I recently turned

Customer Question
I have a CT-27D30B CRT...
I have a CT-27D30B CRT TV set (an oldie). I recently turned on the English subtitles when viewing a movie. I cannot get subtitles to switch off. There is no option on the remote control. When I access the Set Up icon, there is a place to set the language (which is how I turned on the English subtitles), but at that option there is no way to turn off subtitles. There is a separate "CC" (closed caption) setting, but it is set to "off".
How do I turn off the subtitles? Someone mentioned online resetting to the factory settings. This doesn't appear to be available as an option.
Ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no.

You mean that it is connected directly to the cable system , no other devices connected to it ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a stand-alone TV that I use to play DVDs on.

O.k then you are not watching tv programs , only dvd`s ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. DVD device is set to "no subtitles". This is entirely the TV.

In that case the tv is not the one controlling the captions but the dvd player itself and/or the disc menu and it is usually called "subtitle" when it comes to dvd`s

Check that particular disc menu and if that is what you checked then the dvd player`s menu .

Again , the tv just reproduces what it receives , those subtitles come from the dvd player or its disc

Take a look and let me have the model number of that dvd if you cant find it

The only time the tv controls the captions is when it receives its own tv programming with the built-in tuner .

Look at the root menu of the disc where you usually find the language options and check that the subtitles are turned off .

If that answers your question (if not just let me know)please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not the DVD device. The setting was made from the remote for the TV. Even with the DVD disconnected, the Set Up box on the TV screen still reflects subtitles are on, with no option to switch off. So far I am not satisfied with what you are telling me. You have not provided me with a solution to turn of subtitles on the TV set.

This tv is set to video input right now is it ?

Now if you will give me a minute or two I will show you what is happening .

You haven't supplied the dvd player model number either

Set that tv to TV mode (with channel number on the screen ) , doesn`t matter if there is no signal there and then go back in the TV's menu to the captions and you wll see that they are accessible now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DVP-SR210P.

This function is available only when the tv receives a tv channel , not through the video inputs , its IMPOSSIBLE they were not made like that and that is why the captions are not accessible when the tv is set to video inputs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in TV mode. The DVD has been disconnected entirely.

That's not tv mode, do you see a channel number on the screen ?

By the way , did you find the subtitles option on the disc menu ???

Did you look on the disc menu , not the dvd player menu ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it set to channel 24 on the TV set, and am still getting the same results. It's a TV thing; I cannot change the setting off from English subtitles.

I`m sorry but i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .

O.k , I did let everyone here take a look at your question and no one came forward to add to what I said .

I`ve been doing this for 40 years and I`ve never seen a tv that can go into a dvd player then on the disc playing to extirpate the captions if they were not already turned on at the disc menu itself.

It doesn`t matter what the TV's caption menu says , we are talking about subtitles from a dvd , quite a different beast .

Maybe that disc has hard subs burned into the disc , try another disc.

If that doesn`t do it then I will opt out again and perhaps at some point someone will have an idea but I doubt it very much

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician