TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv has sound but the screen is black

Customer Question
my tv has sound but the screen is black
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
3/31/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

I believe this is the question I engaged, and you never replied. Did you have the Sanyo set?

If you grab the original Sanyo remote and press MENU, will the MENU display please?
Also if you shut the set off and turn it back on, will the Sanyo welcome screen display?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does not have a picture no matter how many times you do it. Can not get to menu or anything

Thanks for the reply. If the MENU on the TV does not show up- then this indicates a hardware failure in the set in the backlight circuit of the screen. This generally requires service to the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Green light comes on and that is it. It is not connected to our Direct TV so we don't even get sound

The DirecTv is not relevant to the TV's native welcome screen showing up or the Inputs or MENU working. This indicates a failure in the set and it requires service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we order a new board for it

There's several boards in this set that could cause this problem. In order to narrow it down you will need tools- such as a multi-meter and the ability to measure live voltages. What is your experience with working on electronics?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you We are done

Okay there isn't a one shot diagnosis for no picture on the set. You could be looking at a bad power supply board, or Mainboard. Your power supply is the most likely culprit, so if you wanted to take a chance on that you would purchase and replace part: Sanyo / Toshiba 75017704 (PK101V1500I, FSP140-4F01) Power Supply Unit for the set.

You're welcome. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician