Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I am having a problem with my tv and would like to try to

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my tv and would like to try to fix it instead of just replace.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you give me a description of the problem ?
I would also require the tv`s model number on the back cover please ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a sony KDL 46z4100. the problem is that the screen is very dark and the color is off. I have played with color and brightness settings but this does not seem to help at all.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes and now I see that you have 2 open posts on this , which I am on both as well .

So we`ll pick one post to work on and I`ll have the other one closed

Please do not open other post and reply to me here if we are to work on this one ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. sounds good. Any ideas as to what the problem is? I have done some reading online and it seems the T CON board is a possibility. However, I don't seem to have the vertical lines. I also have seen some comments about the BU board or the back lite. Trying to find pictures of the problems those things cause to see if it is the same problem.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Unless you have a seriously dark screen like almost not visible this may be adjustable.

We could try a picture reset then factory reset .

Did this problem happen all of sudden or gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Go in the TV's menu then PICTURE , open this and scroll down to ADVANCED SETTINGS and once in there perform the RESET

Tell me if that helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is dark but you can still see what is on the screen. It is just a lot darker so that if there is a dark scene it is difficult to see and anything in shadow is very hard to make out. I have tried the resets already without success. The problem seems to have happened suddenly but it is a tv that is not used often so can't be sure.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Tell me if that helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you will have to give me a few moments. The TV is in a different room.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem , take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Did that and it still seems to have the same problem.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then if this had to do with any of the adjustments then it would have brought the picture back to somewhat normal.

You did find that reset yes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually reset twice just to make sure.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then here is the factory reset before looking at repairs ;

With the tv on press and hold the ARROW UP on the REMOTE while you press the POWER directly on the tv .

The tv will turn off and on again , release the arrow and you will be at the first time setup , do that quickly by skipping items you don`t need like channel programming and see if that helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still same thing.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then at this point there are 3 possible culprits and no its not the BU /main board

You have the backlight inverter then the D3Z board that drives that inverter and finally the power board that supply its voltage .

If you go in the menu and play with the BACKLIGHT adjustment , does it vary at all or stays the same ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is the screen evenly dark or dark spots ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I adjust the backlight it does get brighter and darker but still has the same discoloration. Also even at max on backlight it is still rather dark. The discoloration does not vary. Always very red hue to everything.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Discoloration ???

This is new here , I thought we were talking about a dark screen only

Do you mean like a negative or solarized picture ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a very red hue. not really solarized as i have seen online but just skin tones are very red. has been present the entire time as well.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

How about the TV's own menu , how does it appear ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the menu looks darker than usual (I think). but interestingly enough when i hit the guide key to pull up the built in guide it looks normal.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sorry but this is taking way longer than expected and I have shop work to do , i will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.

Please provide me a good picture of TV screen so I can view the issue which will help me to diagnose the problem bit quickly.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok hold on.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sure, take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the best i can do.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Got it, working on it and get back to you in few minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Does the moving object in picture leave trails behind, it's similar when you move mouse pointer bit fast on computer screen and it leaves trails behind?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. doesnt seem to be happening.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, looking into related manual and get back to you in 10 minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately it is LCD panel internal issue as internal circuitry of LCD panel has got fault and causing the darker and more reddish picture. I have come across this issue a few times and had to replace entire LCD panel to fix the problem, it is not a t-con board nor backlight inverter problem. I'm sorry about this bad news but had to break it, I know you would not like to hear it but there is no other option except to replace the screen in TV which would cost more than new TV price of same size if still available with Sony Parts in area so at that point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on this old unit.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.