TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My name is, i have a Sony Bravia KDL-40ex500. the light

Customer Question
hi, my name is *****...
hi, my name is ***** ***** have a Sony Bravia KDL-40ex500. the green light stays on, and the tv will do nothing at all. if i unplug and replug, i only have a steady green light and the tv does nothing at all
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi Jack , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Any problems with the tv prior to this failure

Let me know if you need help with this .

I will be out for inner but send me a reply and I`ll get back to you ASAP

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, What did you think about my original question?
Jack

Not much right now , I would need some more info .

For example if you press the power button directly on the tv , does that green light do anything , like blink or change color ?

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on one day ?

Talk to you again in a couple of days by the look of it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tv was turned off during a storm. It would not com back on. While pluged in, it only shows a green light that does not change or bling. The tv button does not work either. Used remote to try a reset and it did nothing. Unplug and replug and the green light is on and nothing works.
Thanks for your help.
Jack

O.k then turning off the tv doesn`t really protect it from power surge or spikes through the electrical or often through the cable system when there is a storm , it is always on standby thus listening.

If the tv refused to come back on after that storm and from what you described then i give this a 90% chance that your tv`s main board got hit.

That board part #1-857-593-31 sells at the link below for $150 if you are into repairing this yourself;

http://vinnieselectronics.myshopify.com/products/sony-kdl-46ex500-1-857-593-31-s9102-1-s32m88-48-71s06-011-a-board

You can also use that part number if you`d like to do your own shopping.

This is Plug&Play , no solder or adjustments and only a Philips screwdriver required for the whole thing.

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 6 or 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician