TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a dmr-ez48v and I was programming a recording to a

Customer Question
dvd and when I scrolled...
i have a dmr-ez48v and I was programming a recording to a dvd and when I scrolled down to
a certain station it froze. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it stills doesn't work. When
I press power it says "hello" but I can't do anything else.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
3/23/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems. When this unit and all other Panasonic DMR's gets stuck on the "Hello" screen, it means the processor has locked up, or has failed. Most commonly there are two capacitors and a regulator IC chip that go out on the power supply PCB. Hello it's worth trying to see if the unit is simply locked up.

Please disconnect the unit from power, then press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then press and hold power while plugging it back in. Continue to hold power for 10 seconds then release. If the unit does not turn on then press power once more and release. Try those steps up to three times and see if the unit boots beyond the Hello message. If it does not then please let me know how long you've owned it for and we can proceed.

Let me know when you're able to see my reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It didn't work

I'm sorry to hear that, as stated- please let me know how long you've owned this for. This indicates a hardware failure in the unit. Do you have tools and are DIY type? Please elaborate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

No to how long you've owned it for?

I'm assuming you mean to the DIY repair, but I'm asking how old the unit is please to find out if it's still under warranty, or if not- if it's worth repairing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The unit is 7 or 8 years old

Thank you for the reply. That is about the life expectancy of these units. Unfortunately this type of repair is in the $150 range, and considering the unit can be replaced with a brand new Panasonic recorder for just over that, it does not make sense to pursue repairs- as it's something that does require service. The only other thing you can try is to leave the machine unplugged for several hours or more, in the hopes that it resets. However I don't want to offer false hope here. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you'd like recommendations for another recorder, let me know and I will assist you further.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a positive rating for my efforts.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's unfortunate that electronics only last 7 or 8 years -bad for the environment and bad for customers who have to keep spending money on inferior products. If you want could you tell me how to DIY repair? (if it doesn't cost any more money) I 've already spent too much.
Thank you

I have not been rated or paid for my time here, so I will opt out at this point.

TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Joanne and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if attempting a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, then proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check (replace) capacitors C11272, C11401, C11801, C11601 & C11602, C11901 and C11252;
  • • check (replace) IC11150 and IC11170.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did rate Aric I gave him a good rating so I don't know why he saying he's opting out and I want no further dealings with this site and I am not paying another penny. At this point I am dissatisfied and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I understand.

Still, good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Louie, Technician