Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My son sprayed a little bit of water on the front of my

Customer Question

Hi my son sprayed a little bit of water on the front of my Samsung tv this morning and now all I get is sound, no picture...can you help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My son took a spray bottle of water and and sprayed the screen about three times this morning...I didn't think anything was wrong but I just turned the tv on and it plays sound but no picture...the screen is black
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: Our top TV Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the TV Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the TV Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number of the tv?

Initially, please immediately unplug power to the tv and don't touch anything else yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model# *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Yes i'm here, but please give me a moment to respond.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance that the tv is permanently damaged beyond repair. When water gets into the LCD panel (the screen) it can short out the electrical contacts, and the screen is something that is not possible to fix, doing so would cost 3 times as much as the tv is worth.

Unplug power to the tv, and leave it off.

Ideally, you'd seal the tv up inside a large airtight container with descciant crystals or rice (raw, uncooked white rice) and leave it there for 2 days to absorb the internal moisture.

If you can't do that, put it in a well ventilated room and point a fan at it and leave it there for a few days.

Plug back in, and check for functionality. If it still doesn't work, that would confirm internal damage. While it may be possible to fix, if it is just a damaged board, even that isn't worth the cost as you'd pay at minimum about $250 for a simple board swap, and hundreds more if it is the panel. You could buy a brand new tv for under $200, with a fresh warranty, which would make more sense than repairs. I can recommend replacements if you'd like.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your replacement recommendedations?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/1pW1WuS or if you want to go a bit bigger: http://amzn.to/1RTuctG

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper their printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?