TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Panasonic TV PT-52LCX15. Just replaced the lamp.

Customer Question
Need to reset lamp time...
I have a Panasonic TV PT-52LCX15. Just replaced the lamp. Need to reset lamp time but don't have the original remote. Is there another way to do this? Also, even though I replaced the lamp there is still an odd color problem: the bright whites are purple and there is an odd blue-ish light spot to the right of the screen. Are these problems lamp-related? They just started two days ago but I'd been getting a replace the lamp notice every time I turned the TV on for the past few months.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
3/21/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, David.

Can you tell me more about the lamp you used? (where you got it, how much you paid, etc)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
got it off amazon. About $50 I believe.

Thanks for confirming.

Before you do anything, I'd consider replacing that lamp. Chances are it is the cause of the color issues.

The generic or "compatible" lamps like this cost less, but they are poor quality and have a dimmer picture, can cause discoloration, and even damage the tv. They also last often only a few months. It is worth returning it and ordering the proper OEM lamp replacement which will have a genuine philips/osram lamp. They cost twice as much, but should also last for years.

Once you get that, you should still be able to access the setup menu to reset the timer using the front panel buttons (action/menu).

This is the lamp you want: http://amzn.to/1U0b6Tm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that doesn't really help because it's the exact same discoloration and light spot as the previous lamp. Pretty big coincidence if they had the exact same problem. The previous lamp I'd had for three years. then this discoloration started a few days ago so I got the new lamp. And with the new lamp, exact same discoloration.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or, is there any change in functionality after the lamp is reset? Or is that just a timer to let me know when it's time to change the lamp?

I'm sorry I didn't realize you had the issue on the prior lamp also.

That would then point to a light engine/color wheel issue, which is a much deeper problem, and one that is generally not considered worth the investment to repair for a tv of this age (which is now well past its service life and considered to be obsolete technology). You would spend twice as much on parts alone as you would to buy a brand new flatscreen LED tv.

The reset will not change anything in terms of functionality, it just resets the internal timer/counter.

You could open the tv up further and clean it out (vacuuming and compressed air) to remove any dust buildup which could contribute somewhat to a hazy picture, but that wouldn't cause discoloration, that would be hardware related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I said that in the initial question. The discoloration just started a few days ago when the prior lamp was in.

Yes I do see that now, I just misunderstood when you mentioned 2 days ago and thought that was only with the new one.

Nathan, Installer