Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The TV won't turn on. No picture and no sound.I've got the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: The TV won't turn on. No picture and no sound.I've got the back off and I find 24v to both sides of the little fuse on the inverter.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I do hear a clicking coming every few seconds from the power supply.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: it is a 40" Sharp LCD
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hi, What's the model number off of the back of the set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40PFL3705D/F7
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so this is a Philips not a Sharp then??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Sharp.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That model number is ***** Philips- not a Sharp. Check again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it is a Phillips
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That clicking from the power board can be caused by several things. I need to know if the clicking occurs as soon as the set is plugged in or only after the power button is pressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It clicks when I plug it in and when It is unplugged, but it clicks every few seconds as long as it is plugged in.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. This is a mainboard failure on the set- since it provides the turn on command to the power supply. The clicking is the relay on the power supply board cycling due to a faulty turn on command. You would need to replace the mainboard to fix this issue in most cases. Have you measured the standby voltage to the mainboard or any voltage OTHER than the 20 volt output?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to find voltage at the fuse on the board at the top center of the set, but I could not detect anything there. Where else could I check?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The fuse is not where you check- if the fuse were bad there would be no light, no clicking- nothing at all.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Check connector CN1803 for your 3.3 and 12 volt DC outputs using your multi-meter please and tell me which ones are present (if either).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, where will I find CN1803?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's literally labeled CN1803 on the power supply board.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Top center of the board in the picture below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/philips-a01p0mpw-001-power-supply-unit.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got 3.38 v at CN1803.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. How about the 12 volt pin on that same connector please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.14 v at the 3rd and 4th pins.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Those voltages are present soon as the power cord is plugged in or only after you press the power button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged and then plugged in without touching the switch and the voltages are present there.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

And the power board is still clicking while you're testing for these voltages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you on break?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question at this point. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My TV is still out of service and your so called expert has abanded the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must resume this chat in the AM. That should give you time to do some research.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I give this jerk my rating?