Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My 60 in LG TV says no signal. I have checked the cable and

Customer Question

My 60 in LG TV says no signal. I have checked the cable and tried other inputs (HDMI 4 instead of HDMI 1) No signal on either. When I connect the cable to another TV everything works fine. As I remember this happened several years ago and there was an easy fix but have no idea what I did.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

If there's no signal on the screen then it's caused by either of the things below:

1) TV's not set to the correct Input (use the Input button on the LG remote to switch).

2) The HDMI cable is intermittent/not working on this TV (HDMI is digital and a cable can indeed stop working on one device yet still work with another). I would suggest trying another HDMI cable on this set.

3) The Mainboard on the LG TV has lost it's HDMI ports- which is a common failure in these sets. This does require replacing the Mainboard of the TV which is a plug and play component. However it would be worth trying a hard reset of the TV.

Unplug the set from power, then remove any HDMI cables from the TV.

Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release, then wait a minute and reconnect the HDMI cable to the set. Plug the TV back in and power it up. Select the HDMI Input that you'vve plugged into (HDMI 1-4 respectively).

If you're unable to find the solution based on what is posted above, then I will need to know the full model number off of the back of the TV as well as how long you've owned it for.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance once you see my reply.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Have you performed any of the steps I outlined above here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a hard reset a couple of times and that did not work. That was how I fixed the problem the last time. What is the next most likely cause of the problem? There is no way I can take the set off the wall. It took two of us and a set of pulleys to get it on the mount.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear that. This appears to be a fault in the HDMI processing of the TV's mainboard offhand, and this would require replacement of the board to fix the issue. That is the worst case scenario we're looking at here. However, what you need to do next, is rule out WITH CERTAINTY, that the HDMI cable and cable box are not the root cause of the problem. I realize you've tried the box and cable on another TV with good results, but as I mentioned above, HDMI is digital and a cable can work on one device but not another (simply the nature of HDMI's digital handshake). So, I would suggest trying at the very least another HDMI cable to the TV. Additionally rebooting the cable bu by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. These are the only things you can try before coming to the conclusion that the TV's mainboard has lost it's HDMI processing (which is not uncommon).

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If the Mainboard is found to be at fault, I can hep you locate a replacement and tell you how to swap the board yourself. This saves you about $200 over what a shop would charge. I'm just trying to help you any way I can here. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try a new cable as a last resort and let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and sounds good. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.