TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a KD-34XBR960 that will not power on. Just like this

Customer Question
Tim, JA: Thanks. Can you give...
Tim,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a KD-34XBR960 that will not power on. Just like this response from years ago. Push the on button and the TV acts like it will start including the woosh noise for the tube starting to power up, but then stops and immediately the standby power light blinks 20 times then goes out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/15/2016
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the number of blinks.

Still, the described symptom of a Sony KD-34XBR960 would almost always point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20 Blinks on power-up then nothing. No picture or sound. I have already started down the DIY road. Had the infamous six blinks and then no startup at all. Replaced the Two ICs on the D-Board to no avail. Didn't replace the two 1200uF Caps as they didn't appear to be bulging nor did I replace the two fusible resistors. At least the tube attempted to start after the initial sugury but then you hear the relay click that shuts it down again.

Appreciate the additional in formation; very significant.

I have to ask:

• • were the capacitors tested with an ESR meter?
  • • what are the Ω values of the 2 fusible resistors.

The model KD-34XBR960 uses the DA-4 chassis where there is no commonly known 20 blink code. As such, further diagnosis then would be by process of elimination.

Are the output voltages of the power supply board present and consistent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have an ESR meter to test the Capacitors and did not test the fusible links as this was not a common result of failure on the AV websites that addressed the IC failures. I was looking for advice on a method of attack as what to do next as I am not a professional electronics tech. I did download the factory service manuals and have scanned them and know that there is no note of a 20 blink code. That's why I am on this site. I hate to just replace parts without good reason. The two IC chips are a common failure with this model and replacement of the two appears to work 90% of the time. Unfortunately my set has fallen into the 10% that is not fixed with the IC replacement. I have read of sets having the 20 blinks but no one seems to have an idea what to do next. A response regarding 20 blinks a from a number of years ago brought me to Just answer.

I am inclined to suggest a component level check including voltage checks as an approach to diagnosis.

Still, perhaps another member can provide a shortcut to address the 10% failure with non-corrective IC replacements.

The question would be re-opened as I would be opting out.

Good luck with the Sony.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Louie,
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not disregarding your advice, rather I'm asking you how I would go about further component level checks and voltage checks, i.e. where do I start at this point. I had hoped initially that one of the techs may have run into a similar problem with this TV. Where I ran into problems is for example, I researched how to check a capacitor and most of the info I found online required it to be removed from the circuit. I didn't have the equipment to check it. All I have is a digital VOM. Please advise me what I should check next. I'm not just looking for a quick answer.
Louie, Technician