TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Hope you can help. I have a Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma

Customer Question
Hi! Hope you can...
Hi! Hope you can help. I have a Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma HDTV. I have two issues to report:
1) On only four (cable TV) channels a 'horizontal FLASHING GREEN continuous-line' appears on the very bottom of the screen. Upon close inspection the green line is really 'two horizontal rows' that from afar appears as a line. The commonality on those four channels is the broadcast channel image does not occupy the entire TV screen. On other channels broadcasting the same non-full size image the issue DOES NOT exist. On all other channels broadcasting a full size image (occupying the entire TV screen size) the issue DOES NOT not exist.
2) On only one single channel a 'horizontal FLICKERING WHITE broken-line' appears on the very top of the screen. The broadcasted image on this channel does not occupy the entire TV screen (like that of the above first symptom).
All other channels and aspects of the TV appear to work 100% correctly.
Your insight is much appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
3/7/2016
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

Does this happen if you use other inputs like a DVD for example?

Anthony

Good question....No, the reported symptoms DO NOT occur when playing a DVD. The symptoms only occur as reported and explained.
To re-confirm, the symptom only occurs on those very few (cable TV) channels. Furthermore, I have checked those same channels on other TVs throughout our home (non-plasma technology) and the symptoms DO NOT appear on those units when viewing those specific channels. Very odd....

Do you have a box that feeds each set in the home?

Anthony

Hi Anthony - the cable company (Time Warner) provided 'DTC' adaptors (I think that's what they're called) for sets to receive the cable signal. The Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma HDTV is one of the sets using a DTC adaptor. The "main cable box" unit resides on a different non-plasma set.Thanks,-Daniel

Yes it had to be something like that I am assuming you are good now?

Anthony

I would have got there if you replied however it would have been isolated to a problem with the box they probably would have told you about adaptors

Anthony

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply....what do you mean "I am assuming you are good now?" - and - "I would have got there if you replied however it would have been isolated to a problem with the box they probably would have told you about adaptors."Please clarify.

Sorry your reply was confusing how are these adaptors married up to the TV?what input are they using?is this an "over air " relay to the set ?or is it wired?I am not sure at all how you are connected here

If you move the set to a different known good point where the channels are not affected?

Is the plasma then behaving the same way?

I see....I don't know the exact connectivity, I can check at home. To recap, here's what we have:(1) Samsung HDLP TV - connected to "main cable box" connected. No issues to report here.
(1) Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Plasma HDTV - connected to its own single "DTC" device. Issues as originally reported.
(2) Off Shore Brand 1080p flat screen TVs - connected to their own respective single "DTC" device. No issues to report here.Does this help clarify from my end?

I cant see this being a problem with the TV , it has to be with how its linked up, if you could move the set to a known good point so to the off shore brand name and try it again, also I need to know how these adaptors connect to the set is it via an input OR the antenna input on the TV itself so what I mean is it via hdmi for example?

Anthony

I have no idea what a DTC adaptor is to be honest

Hi Anthony - I'm not done yet....let me verify a coupe more things.Thanks!-Daniel

OK

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician