TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Trying to set up a new-to-us Samsung tv with a sony dvd

Customer Question
Trying to set up...

Trying to set up a new-to-us Samsung tv with a sony dvd player- the screen just says not available in the current mode or no signal

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The dvd player and the tv are hooked together with a HDMI cord in the HDMI 2 slot

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
3/7/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model of the tv and the player?
Do you have problems with any other input/device (cable/satellite, game, apps, etc)?

samsung tv model number LN-S40920, Sony wireless lan built in bdp-s3100
nothing else is plugged in- we used the same HDMI cord on our old tv that we just unplugged today
are you there??
knock knock- anybody home?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

yes, I'm here, but please just reply once and give me an opportunity to respond. When you send multiple messages you get lost in the queue.

The problem is that this is a very old (2004 model) tv, that is not fully compatible with the player.

The tv is only capable of a 720p maximum resolution, while the player is going to output 1080p by default. The tv also lacks some necessary hdcp protocols for some content to work properly.

What you'll need to do is to temporarily connect the player to a newer/better (1080p capable) tv where you can get a signal, go into the sony settings menu, and set the output to be fixed at 720p, then you can try to reconnect to the samsung.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Did you need more help with this?