TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My Samsung tv has suddenly gone "pale".

Customer Question

My Samsung tv has suddenly gone "pale".
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Hello if you press the menu button on the remote control does the menu also look pale please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the background is still pale

Sorry do you mean the MENU is pale (not talking about the background please)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Menu is normal
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

That would mean your color control setting is turned way down OR you've lost control of the color on your video processor.

Access your TV's menu, go to the Picture settings. Look at the color -- is that color control bar set halfway up the bar or possibly "grayed out" /non-adjustable? If it's non-adjustable, there are several pre-sets in the picture settings, like Movie, Sports, Normal and Vivid....set it to Vivid if it's not. Then try adjusting the color control to halfway if it's adjustable. You should see the color normalize.

If it doesn't work, then switch to your DVD player or another input. Look at the color on that. We need to know if that 2nd input /device is also pale or has normal color on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried adjusting the settings but it doesn't help. If I switch to DVD or USB input it doesn't make any difference. It's still pale.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

You may want to try a firmware update first, it may rewrite the TV's operating firmware and restore operation of the color bar control. This website has the instructions, and the USB software you download and load onto a USB stick,then install it on your TV set following the instructions.

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/LA40B650T1FXXY

If your color control still doesn't work, then it looks like you have to remove your old main board and replace it.

Here's a site that sells it.

http://www.mxmee.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=465

You see the BNxx-xxxxx number listed in the page. That's your actual part number found on that board on a sticker.

I always get the board's number directly off the sticker and Google it for the correct part and price.

Try the software first, and if that doesn't work, lay the TV face down on a pad, remove all the screws on the rear cover, lift it off, and look for stickers on that main board with the BN number. All Samsung boards start with that BN number.

Any questions? Use the reply button for answers. BTW, you're in Australia, I'm in the USA. There will be a time delay since we are on different continents.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

I found a picture of that sticker on the main board. Follow the instructions above and if you have to, look at this sticker on your main board posted below.