Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station
1567601

Sharp XR-30X projector will not light. power light blinking

Customer Question

Sharp XR-30X projector will not light. power light blinking red
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Does the power light blink continuous or is there a pattern?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to check is to make sure the lamp cover is secure. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lamp cover is secure. Lights blink in a pattern that's a bit difficult to discern
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is a pattern that will indicate what the problem might be but you will need to try to count the number of times the light blinks. Can you try to count them for me?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, but I am unable to contact you by phone at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like one short then 5 short then 6 short then 3 short then 1 short then one long and seems to go randomly
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, when you power it up, does the lamp come on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, the three lights blink then the power starts blinking, but no lamp at all
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Can you see the cooling fan and if so, does it spin up? Also, how old is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cooling fan does not come on. unit is probably 5-6 years old
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you changed the lamp at any time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you leave it plugged in continuously? If so unplug it for a few minutes then power it up and see what happens. I suspect your problem may be due to the lamp circuit or cooling circuit failing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't leave it plugged in continuously. It is used for projecting computer at work, rarely. when I unplug it and wait a few minutes and plug it in, the same thing happens--the power light blinking.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Aside from changing the lamp, there is not much you will be able to do to resolve the problem other than sending it in for service. I may be able to recommend someone for you if you don't have anyone local?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in burbank CA. do you have a recommendation?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The one I normally recommend is at this LINK. Here is a list if you would like to find someone closer. Check this LINK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not going to be charged for this, right?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Only if you think my time was worth something, I leave that up to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was charged on one card for $5 and then I got a message from justanswer that there was a credit card problem so I entered another card and that one got charged $19. Who do I call to dispute charges on credit cards?