TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a sony hd smart tv that i purchased about 6 months…

Customer Question
I have a sony...

I have a sony hd smart tv that i purchased about 6 months ago. It has recently started to blink and I'll see the input message come up on the top of the screen.

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

It will blink or the sound will go out for just a second and then it's fine for a minute or so and it will do it again.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?

The reason I purchased the tv was because a house in my neighborhood was hit by lightening and it fried the hdmi cable and where you plug it in on the old tv. I still have the same direct tv genie connected to the new tv. Also, some times it takes 2 or 3 times of turning the tv on and off for the tx's sound to come on. And sometimes the whole screen is a pinkish color picture until i turn the tv off and back on again

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Could you tell me the model number of the tv?

Does this issue happen on all sources/inputs (dtv, dvd, game, apps, etc)?

I only have a Amazon Fire stick plugged in besides the genie box. Yes, it does do it then too.
It's a Sony KDL40R510C 40" 1080p60Hz LED Smart HDTV

Can I get the model number, please?

Initially, this would point to the beginning stages of a hardware problem (failing main board), similar to your old one.

Lets try updating the tv though before we jump to any conclusions: Go into the tv setup menu and look for the software/firmware update option and run that to make sure it has the latest software.

Actually, it's gotten worse since I updated just a few days ago.

Go ahead and check anyway, just to be safe.

Failing that, we'd go into the menu and do a full factory reset (clears all memory and settings, you have to reconfigure everything again after such as wifi).

And if that still doesn't help then we are looking at a hardware fault, though for a tv this new it would still be under warranty and sony would cover the repair costs.

I'm at work, so I won't be able to do this until I get home.

No problem, take your time, you can get back to me when you're ready, though there really isn't much else to tell you at this point. Either the update/reset help, or it goes in for service.

Okay, I'll try that when I get home.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Did you need any more help with this?