Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

The power indicator comes on and shuts off. Seems like a

Customer Question

the power indicator comes on and shuts off. Seems like a supply or boot error. some times quickly and sometimes slowly fading over 2-3 seconds to off. the problem is intermittent. The television is now on and I am afraid to shut it off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I have cycled without success. I have confirmed the audio signal feed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority. We are now connected together on this convenient website which saves you time and money vs much higher repair shop diagnostic fees.

To get started, I need to know you are able to reply to me here...

1. What is the full model number of the Tv? see sticker on back of tv
2. How long have you had the Tv?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vizio e500I-b1 17 months
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Really only a few things that you can try:

-perform a full factory reset using the Vizio remote in the help/support menu.

and also:

-disconnect the tv POWER cord for 3 full minutes.

If that does not help then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, checks need to be performed, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further (a meter and previous electronics experience is needed).

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted. A shop charges $125 to come diagnose the problem and hand you an estimate. Then another $175 in parts and labor. So the total can be $300 (or more).

Remember that I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above.

Regardless of what you decide to do next, please take a moment to click the 3 to 5 STARS rating at the top of the page. Keep in mind that I have donated my invaluable time and expertise helping you rather than other paying customers.

Rating now does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

Clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned,I did reset and cycle. I am looking to diagnose the problem or id typical problems. So that when I take this appart I have the proper p[arts to replace it. In the mean time it is on and will stay on for the remainder of its life. Is this a supply issue , driver issue or board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live out in the sticks. there is no repair man. I can test the supply output but I cannot daignose a borde output
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OR Samsung
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely impossible to guess what is wrong from the outside symptoms, especially on intermittent problems.

The back panel needs to come off, a meter connected, power applied, reproduce the problem, look at the meter readings. Then purchase parts based on the readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok mike, the supply issue is easy enough. the board is realatively cheap. do you have a suggestions on cheap vizio parts?
I assume the board out put is also 12 v
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

shopjimmy.com

ebay.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike, I was hoping that the solution was more obvious or typical. I think for now I will leave it on and use it to heat my living room will its on and still working.Gregory
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I wish tv repair worked like that, but alas it does not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike!http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-e500i-b1-ltywpleq-complete-tv-repair-kit-version-1.htm
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

if only it was in stock!