TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My name is ***** *****. I recently bought a Sony 55x810C 4k…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I recently bought a Sony 55x810C 4k TV. It worked fine until now, it's not detecting any of my HDMI inputs. It's just a gray screen now and it says "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the input button."

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

None. Just that it doesn't detect any of my HDMI devices. I've already tried a factory reset and unplugging.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
3/3/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are any of the analog inputs working?
Does this happen with multiple hdmi devices, and are they connected directly to the tv, or through any type of receiver/amp?
Can you still access the tvs smart apps?

This is happening to all the devices and all the ports. They're connected directly to the TV. The apps still work.
When I go to self diagnostics on the TV.. one thing that it does recognize is my soundbar, which is connected to the HDMI/ARC port so that sound comes out of the soundbar no matter what input I'm on. However, this doesn't work either as sound doesn't go through the soundbar now when using the smart apps like netflix.

Thank you for confirming.

This points to a hardware problem, meaning a faulty main board, which houses all of the hdmi input ports.

Hdmi circuitry is highly sensitive and easily damaged by power surges or even static shock from your body, if you've ever connected/disconnected anything while the tv or device was powered.

What we'll need to try here is a reset process:

Unplug power to the tv, and all devices, disconnect all hdmi cables between them

wait at least an hour

power all back on, connected to power only (no hdmi) for a minute, then power back off

reconnect hdmi

power back on, tv first, source devices 2nd

Let me know the results.

Still waiting to power it on. If this doesn't work, what are my options? Getting this TV was a pain in the butt -- had to borrow an SUV, etc. -- and I'm not willing to go through that again. I honestly would rather pay someone to come to my house and replace whatever is broken. How much would that cost?
It didn't work. Still says no signal.

Thank you for the update.

How long have you had the tv? If less than a year old, it's under warranty.

If not, you're looking at about $300 on average to have someone come out and replace the main board.

Let me know your zip and I'll find a local tech for you, unless you want to repair it yourself.

I've had it for 2 weeks.......
You just don't expect this to happen to a brand new TV, you know? Especially with a company like Sony.

Honestly, sony is no where near the quality it used to be, not even in the top 3 anymore. Good marketing and features, but most parts are not even made by them anymore, and they have significant failure rates.

You're under warranty, though at this point if it is really that new, I would take this as a sign of worse things to come, and try contacting the retailer and ask them to exchange it for you entirely for a new one, and make them deliver it too.

Otherwise, contact sony, file a warranty claim, and they'd replace it for you.

Do you think the retailer will let me exchange for another brand?

That is really up to them, most would, because you're within the return policy and could reasonably ask for a complete refund. Unless they have an exception that does not allow tv returns, but most places would especially if you're going to get a new one through them.

Ok. Thanks for trying to help.

You're very welcome.

If you need any more assistance with getting ahold of sony or any other info, feel free to get back in touch.

Best of luck to you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

PS: I'd look for a Panasonic or LG model, if replacing with something else.

.

Just checking in, did you need any more help with this? Were you able to get it replaced?

Nathan, Installer