TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an older vizio hdtv (dec 2008) - model # VIZIO VA19L…

Customer Question
I have an older vizio...
I have an older vizio hdtv (dec 2008) - model # ***** VA19L HDTV10 T, Serial No LZMDUAJ4910911.
I would like to know if this has a cable card that would allow me to hook up directly to cable without the box.
Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
3/2/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Mary Jane.

Who is your cable provider?

I ask because your tv does have a QAM tuner, which means that it can work with CLEAR (unencrypted) cable broadcasts.

However, most cable companies have now (or will soon) transitioned to ENCRYPTED broadcasts, meaning that a box is required to decode the channels available under your account.

If you have comcast, verizion fios, att uverse, or most of the other big companies, the channels will be encrypted and would not work with your tv directly.

If you have a small local/regional provider, they may be available. You could contact your cable co to ask what their signal type is.

As an alternate option if you are trying to keep costs down and not rent a box from them, you could hook up an antenna to the vizio to at least get the local broadcast tv channels.