TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have the same troule that this one person has...not able…

Customer Question
i have the same troule...
i have the same troule that this one person has...not able to turn tv off unless i turn cable box off..not sure what thae problem is
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
3/2/2016
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

Are you using the cable remote for both cable and the TV?

Or are you using or do you have the original remote to the set?

Anthony

Anthony

i usually don't...I don't think I pressed any buttons on the remote to make it so I can't turn the t.v. off unless I turn the cable box off. this i think is new

So if you use the ORIGINAL remote for the TV it still wont switch OFF?

right, I just tried the remote and I couldn't turn the tv off If I use the cable remote i can turn the tv off but then it turns off the cable box

Have you changed the batteries in the cable remote?

Usually the batteries bad in the cable remote causes this issue

I put in new batteries in the remote and i still have the problem

So the TVs own remote that came with the set wont work the cable remote wont work to switch off

Have you tried a factory reset of the TV in the settings menu?this should be your next move, factory reset or shipping reset found in the settings menu of the TV

Let me know please how that works out

Anthony

I can't do that because none of the buttons on the tv remote works....maybe i should just contact vizio
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Vizio won't really help with this beyond giving you a basic reset to try which I can do. Your Vizio remote has stopped working on the set- which I understand.

This can be caused by either the remote itself, or the IR sensor in the TV.

Please try this basic reset first:

Disconnect the TV from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release.

Remove the batteries from the remote then press and hold the power button on the remote for 10 seconds (this drains residual current from the remote), then release.

Wait a minute and while pressing and holding power on the remote- put the batteries back in.

Plug the TV back in and then try to use the Vizio remote.

Let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.