TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have LG model 55LF5700-UA. Bought it a week ago but just

Customer Question
hooked it up. Everything works...
I have LG model 55LF5700-UA. Bought it a week ago but just hooked it up. Everything works properly except I lose sound after 60 seconds when watching cable TV. Sounds works fine when watching Amazon, Netflix and etc. Plus sounds works fine when playing PlayStation 4.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I unplug the tv and plugged it back in. Still the same. I don't have a cable box. The coax goes straight to the tv. I didn't have this problem with the tv before this one or any other tv's in the house.

OK, I need to go offline so let me repost this question and hopefully another expert will soon respond to assist you further.

Thanks.

TV Technician: littlerusty2005, Expert replied 1 year ago
littlerusty2005

Hello, my name is Rusty. Go to Settings>Audio>Audio mode, what is it set to now? If it's on auto, set it to stereo, and tell me if it still cuts out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I noticed before I set it to stereo a few channels wouldn't lose sound. I just now set it to stereo and it's the same.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
some channels takes longer to lose sound.

Ok, I think we may need to get you a digital decoder box. Your TV seems it is incompatible with the digital signal that comes in. When it switches between PCM and DTS, that is when the sound drops out. You're having problems with the DTS channels.

If you have a digital tuner, you can lock the output to PCM, and it won't cut out on your TV. Setting your TV to stereo fixed some channels, so that's telling me that digital decoding is not working properly. When the sound cuts out, can you change the channel, and change it back to get it working? Or turning it off then back on, does that bring the sound?

I think the decoder box is going to be the long term solution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I change the channel and change it back the sound is working.

Yep, that is most definitely what is happening. The way to fix it is to lock in PCM, and the way to do that is to add a digital tuner before plugging the coax into the TV. You can change the menu setting in the box to only output PCM, and your problem is solved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you. I will pick one up today.

That should clear it up, I see this digital mismatch all the time. If the signal is too hot, or too weak, it will go silent. If it is encoded in any way that is not specific to the TV, it will go silent. The boxes are built a bit better so that isn't a problem, and you can lock them into PCM, plus it conditions the signal for your TV.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've also notice the channels that loses sound have a smaller picture and the channels that keep sound are full screen. Is that because of the same reason of needing a digital tuner box?

That is also a digital signal problem. The channels that are doing programming out of the realm of what other channels are doing are broadcasting anomalies. Again, a digital tuner should clear that up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you suggest a reasonable priced digital tuner?

Absolutely, the last I checked they were around $40. Give me a minute to pull one up.

Click here. For some reason, Walmart is the best place to get them. When you plug it in, set up your channels on your TV. It will show up on channel 3 or 4. Then scan for channels with the box, and you'll be all set.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to bother you again, but I do have a digital converter box for when I had the older non-flat tv. Is that what I need?

Yes, that will work just fine. You'll still need to do the setup for channel 3 on your TV, and search for channels on your converter box.

littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert