Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

My 12 yr old Sylvania tv has been fine all the way til I cut

Customer Question

My 12 yr old Sylvania tv has been fine all the way til I cut it off at 1 am now suddenly it won't power on by remote or button on tv...I checked batteries n power outlet is fine, what happened?
Category: TV
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is usually an issue with the power board Gail, normally a blown capacitor.

First though, we will rule out residue power as the issue.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did nothing...not on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Do you wish for me to call? as I saw the request, accept the request and I can call Gail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay anything additional because that answer didn't help and the entire $24 was charged
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I was only responding to your request of a phone call.

If you plug it into a different power socket, does it then start? I want to rule this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that already
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

It is the internal powerboard that has faulted. It will be a blown capacitor on the board

All other causes have been ruled out

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. But I strongly urge you to get a pricing first Gail as the cost to replace this with labor can is likely to exceed the value of a replacement based on its age, plus you would only get a limited warranty on the repair, which is why in my experience I advise this

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand how something blew when all I did was cut tv off this morning like normal...that was 8 hrs ago
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

These components can always fail even if you do nothing out of the ordinary. The capacitors have a life span depending on how well they were made. The average use of these TV is 6 years so to get double the use of this is pretty good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like though you were polite, the info given here I could have read online for free...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Anything can be found online if you know what your looking for... All I can do Gail is rule out the causes for this problem and explain to you what the issue was. This is what you asked for and what I have done for you and the service you paid for. I am not really sure what else you would like me to say? If there is a specific question, please feel free to let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you