Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Samsung 50" DLP TV that was making a whining sound.

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 50" DLP TV that was making a whining sound. I changed the color wheel and the lamp and it won't turn on. I have a blinking green lamp light on the front. I tried pushing the cutoff switch but it won't work.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?

2- Have you put lamp door back on TV after lamp installation?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HLR5067WAX/XAA, yes I put the lamp door back on TV after installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, is the old lamp dead/ broken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I tried putting the old lamp back in and it didn't work either.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm here and may take few minutes to reply.

OK, does the color wheel spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't sound like it. I checked the connections to the color wheel to make sure they were secured but nothing.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it is quite possible the orange ribbon cable of color wheel is inserted in wrong direction in connector on board, pull it from connector, flip it and insert in connector so its shiny connections connect to jack pins and check, does color wheel spin now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the shiny connectors face in or out towards me?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure about it, however, it wont hurt if you put the cable in wrong direction into jack as it connects only one way so go ahead, turn the shiny face of connector and insert it to see if color wheel spins now as this is necessary requirement of boot up process then lamp will be turned On.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did so, tv makes a noise like it's going to turn on but nothing. I still have a flashing green light and there a clicking sound coming from tv.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the blue cutoff switch in up position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small fan just cut off.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, so you had not such noise/ sound before flipping the color wheel connector?

Is the green light keep flashing or after some time other lights on TV front also start flashing?

Try to put blue lamp door switch in down position as well to see if it makes any difference.

Also, where did you buy the replacement lamp and was the old lamp working fine before the color wheel problem occurred?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The orange cable was already properly inserted. The green light flashes and after a while there's a clicking sound then small fan shuts off and I get flashing lamp, timer and standby/temp light.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, so you get all three lights flashing on TV, correct?

If so, where did you buy the replacement lamp from and how much you paid for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got lamp from Amazon, paid $25. I put old lamp in which wasn't defective and still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sorry for delayed reply. Working on it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

$25 lamp most likely wont work so let the old lamp inside TV while troubleshooting.

Did you put the blue switch downward as a test?

Also, recheck the work and make sure all connectors are plugged securely and tight that were remove for color wheel replacement work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done all steps
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I'm running out of ideas what it could be causing the problem so let me repost the question and other experts can have a look, hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you further.

Do not rate my answers and leave it as it is.

Thanks.,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok